Bug with OFW & keyboard control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  12:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The test case isn't consistent, but with a few tries the problem reveals itself fairly frequently. Due to the inconsistency, I cannot give exact steps to reproduce the problem, but I can give you an idea of how to continuously test for it.

1) Open a project that has a large set of files, probably around 200+ files.
2) Open the "Open file in workspace" dialog and make sure that "Only show files in the current workspace" is checked. If you had to check this, close the dialog and re-open it so the default keyboard input focus is set to the edit control where you type a filename to find.
3) Do not use mouse input from this point forward.
4) Begin typing the partial name of a file you know is somewhere in-between A and Z, some random file in the middle (your choice). Also pick words or partial words that you know all files share. The text you type can be included in the middle, front, or back of multiple files. Doesn't matter. The objective is to narrow the list of files down from 200+ to about 6 or 8.
5) The current selection in the file list will be set to the "closest match". Using the keyboard, select multiple files by holding SHIFT and pressing UP or DOWN. Notice how the selection range gets scrambled and selects random files.

For example, suppose I type something in the search edit control that causes exactly 8 files to appear in the search results. The default selection is set to the 3rd item (from top to bottom). When I press SHIFT+DOWN on the keyboard, items 3 and 4 should now be selected. Sometimes, you can get items 1-5 to be selected, for example. The point is that sometimes you don't get 3 and 4 selected, you get some random jump that causes multiple elements to get selected that aren't supposed to.

This seems to be a bug with the current selection. Maybe there's an internal "current selection" that is different from the displayed selection.

Try this out and see what you get. If you need more information on the problem please don't hesitate to post questions.

Edited by - MrDoomMaster on Dec 20 2006 12:11:25 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recognize this, I believe this is:

case=910

It is discussed here: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4195

the short version is when pressing Shift + Down arrow instead of selecting 2 files as expected the dialog selects many files, from the top of the list to the current location.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  2:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we increase the priority on this A LOT? According to the thread you referenced, this issue is 2 years old. I think it is time to fix this.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  2:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have increased the priority on this for you. I agree the bug has been open for a while now, but we are also getting a constant stream of new bug reports, so age alone does not dictate when we fix a bug.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

so age alone does not dictate when we fix a bug.

I'm saying that it should. While I do agree the bugs are minor, they only remain minor for a few months. When I have to tolerate 2-5 minor bugs for a year or more, it gets fairly annoying to be quite honest. I appreciate the hard work you guys do, however I feel it might be good for the community and for the product if you take a step back and get 1 programmer to start from the bottom of the list and work his way up for a day.

Thanks for the quick response. I look forward to seeing some of these year-old issues going away soon.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  6:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case=910 is fixed in Build 1623.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page