Three MUST-HAVE features:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VisualAssist every day at work, and I think of these missing features all the time!
Hey, before I start babbling; THANK YOU for making me coding 10 times faster!

1) New list filter
I type 'm_myDerivedClass' and this nifty VA-list pops up. There are a bunch of filters, but NONE that ONLY shows methods/attributes unique for THIS class! For instance, I know I added a 'SetSpecialValue' function, but there is no way I can filter out all 'Set***' functions present in the parent class (CDialog in this case).

2) Automatic return type suggestion
I'm an experienced MFC developer. Coding in MFC (and other frameworks) often involves overriding methods. So, for instance I type: 'CMyNewClass::OnInitDialog('
But wait! What was the return value? Sure, it is displayed in this tooltip when you place the MOUSE (yuck!) cursor over the function name... Why not simply let Visual Assist put the return value in front of the declaration FOR me? That would be awesome!

3) Function declarations in header/code files
Header- and code-files. Don't you hate typing that stupid function head TWICE? I know most programmers start writing a member function of a class inside the cpp-file. Then they copy the declaration to the h-file and finally start writing the code in the cpp-file. This is a feature I think Visual C++ should have had since v4.0, but Microsoft just don't give a damn! Luckily, VisualAssist can correct their mistake: Simply add the declaration/definition to the h/cpp-file whenever it is being declared in one of the files. Of course it would be a good idea to have some kind of Yes/No-box appearing so you can skip this if you misspell your function etc.
Similarly, the function name should be updated in both files whenever it is changed.

Ok, now I can go back to work! My collegues and I hope you listen to our wishes.

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding option #3. With the new refatoring options you can type the definition once, in the header file and say Create Implementation. Or write soem code in one method. Highlight it and used Extract Method which will create the deloration and implementation. Those should do what you are looking for.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  06:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read about this "create implementation" feature, but can't find it! Is there a shortcut key/menu for it?
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/changeSignature.html?more=yes

You have to be running one of the 15xx beta builds found here: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4932

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for point 1, try turning on:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> bold non-inherited members
VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> list non-inherited entries first

for point 2, if you are creating the implimentation then you want Create Implementation in the 15xx builds.
if you are looking to create a declaration based on something in your base class, this has been discussed before in the forum as an extension of refactoring, and may even happen one of these days however i don't think this is on the current "do now" list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000