Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  10:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would be nice to stick my head in the sand and pretend there was no competition at all for VA but that would be slightly unrealistic.

if / when you get this working i am interested in your impressions. plus i wonder how it will handle some of the more difficult C++ code i have seen posted here over the years.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  02:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will post my impressions as soon as I can get it to work. I agree that C++ refactoring must be very hard to accomplish.

So far Refactor have failed even parsing a single file. The ticket have been reviewed but I got no answers from anyone yet.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  5:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but reading their site, I can find no mention of C++ support. Only VB and C#. They seem to think that qualifies as "language neutral," as if it was possible to be language neutral when dealing with source code.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, I am telling you that they have C++ support on this release. For all I know they didn't update the website or something. C++ support in the latest version have been confirmed to me by the product manager himself!

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I got it to work. So far, I am impressed! Will keep you posted.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  7:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bah, you know what?

I preffer ref++ approach to refactoring rather then refactor!pro

One thing for sure. It has some nice animations, but I am still wondering what the heck they are used for

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Feb 27 2006 7:12:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  7:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it is buggy so far. Here is a hard one for any C++ refactorer:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
private:
	///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
	///  Privates members
	///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/*!@brief Minimum Range defined for this integer*/	
	private: long long m_minRange;
	/*!@brief Status flag */	
	bool m_isMinRangeDefined;
	/*!@brief Maximum Range defined for this integer*/	
	long long m_maxRange;	
	/*!@brief Status flag */
	bool m_isMaxRangeDefined;

What do you do for refactoring the accesor type of one of the variables? what do you do with the per variable comment?

Here is what I suggested to them:
--
It should move the variable being refactord and the comments attached to it ( if possible comments above it, and next to it ) to a private section. If there is many, then move to first one found. If there is none, the create one and move it there.
--

That is what makes C++ refactoring very hard. I can't wait to see what the wholetomato team has in store for us! :)

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Feb 27 2006 7:48:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

efortier
Ketchup Master

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SasaOK, I got it to work.
How? I tried and can't get anything out of it!

Thanks for posting your comments dude!

--
Eric

VS2005 Pro/Team Suite English
http://www.tlnewsreader.com
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  10:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
efortier, mec, the trick ( that is not mentioned anywhere btw ) is to install both code rush and refactorPro! on your system. After installadion, remove the DX core via the add/remove programs menu. Download the latest version of DX core from their webiste ( so in total you have to download 3 items ) and re-install it. It should work now.

efortier, please though, whenever possible, please post bug reports to devexpress support so we can get all of them fixed. It is very buggy at the moment.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  2:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will you guys be implemnting the refactoring from the VA View as well? It would have been so cool to be able to select a bunch of member variable in the VA class view and do a "create accessor methods" on them. Or to click on a method and change it's signature, both from the VA view ( class tree ) and from the actual source file, a la ref++

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't actually know to be honest, but i have already requested the ability to select a load of prototypes in a header file and create bodies.

i did give some thought myself to accessor methods, but i wondered if this would open a possible can of worms. i never really did resolve this thought, so decided to wait and see what came up. VA View integration is certainly a good point, and i can see a feature request going in if it is missing in the first beta.

Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  6:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
to select a load of prototypes in a header file and create bodies.

Nice!

Another nice suggestion would be the auto-implmentation of virtual and pure virtual method.

So I right-click in a class in the class viewer, and choose "implement virtual methods" and a dialog will appear with all the virtual and pure virtual methods in base classe(s), you select wich ones you want to implement and voila, the prootypes and bodies are created on the said classe.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*considers*

in one sense this is just my idea in a slightly different form. the idea of a dialog listing all member functions without bodies so you can select the ones you want to have bodies created is very tempting.

speaking as someone who uses the Qt C++ framework many of my classes contain signals and slots (Qt specific types of member function) so i can see a danger of asking VA to be to cleaver in how it shows you the member functions. after all, if we are going to list virtual functions, then why not slots?

there is a rumor of a beta build of VA in the next few days, so for now i want to wait and see if the rumor is true, and if so what makes it into the beta.

longer term i think we are both going to want to return to this question. certainly i am very keen to see the ability to create bodies for several functions all in one go.

Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  01:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
there is a rumor of a beta build of VA in the next few days, so for now i want to wait and see if the rumor is true, and if so what makes it into the beta.

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You mean refactoring first appearence in Visual Assist-X? :) :)

Honestly, I gave refacorPro a try, and it wasn't good at all. I gave slickEdit tools for Vs2005 and it didn't even work when using STL. I am still using ref++ because this has been the best solution so far.

I have the feeling that I will uninstall soon every refactoring plugin I have :)

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No refactoring in latest beta (1442) :( :(

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now contain your excitement

the refactoring will show up in the 15xx builds, so don't be disappointed if it is not present in new 14xx builds. plus remember that the first build out will be a first beta, the idea appears to sneak up on refactoring, rather than trying to do everything at once.

i tried Ref++ myself a while ago but i was very disappointed by the experience and have been doing everything by hand since.

as for exactly what will be present, i don't know myself, so i am also eagerly waiting to find out.

Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oo, can't wait to get my hands on the 15xx builds. Doing a big refactor job and could use a good refactor tool :)

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  5:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, refactoring in C++ is sooooooooooooooooooooo tedious. I want a good tool do it all. MS should have included refactoring out of the box with VS2005.

On the other hand I understand why it would be really hard to do a C++ refactoring tool.

IMHO the best refactoring tool is going to be the tool that gets the most feedback from actual users and has a good parser to support it, like VAX :)

So potentially best candidate for being the refactoring tool is VAX. It will be fast and efficiant, unlike the rest of them that scan the whole project tree every freking time you refactor something, simply because VAX seems to know what is happening at all time.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Mar 08 2006 5:43:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sasa: The email address in your profile is bogus. Can you send us a valid email address for you?
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  10:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi support, sorry for that. It is that I really hate spam :(

I updated the forum's profile invalid email to a valid one.

I also sent you an email via the forums with that valid email address for me. Please contact me via this address.

Thanks.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Mar 12 2006 10:32:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page