New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2024 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've getting a ton of input lag and high CPU usage when just typing and trying to autocomplete variable/function names with VAX and a 144hz monitor. Dropping the refresh rate to 60hz or disabling VAX fixes the issue.

I will need to switch to a 240hz monitor soon for work and this is going to be a real problem as the lag is worse on my 165hz monitor at home than on my 144hz at work.

If I do a profile capture, each time I hit a key, the VAX main thread spikes and stalls out everything. This is on a Threadripper PRO 5975WX.

This isnt the first time I've had issue with VAX and high refresh rate monitors. It would really be appreciated if you could improve this, given how prevalent high refresh rate monitors are in the game industry.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using? If you are using VS2022 which version are you using?

We have had reports of performance problems before with high refresh rate monitors, but so far have struggled to reproduce them. Someone else reported performance problems on a high refresh rate monitor in VS2022 a couple of weeks ago, but for them, updating to the latest version of VS2022 seemed to fix the problem.

So I am wondering if the version of VS2022 could be a factor.

If this doesn't help, or isn't an option, can you please try the following to produce logs that should help our developers to understand what is going on here:

- have an instance of visual studio running which you can reproduce in
- start a separate instance of visual studio
- start debug > performance profiler
- choose running process as your target, and select the devenv process you will reproduce in
- check cpu usage under available tools
- click start
- reproduce the issue for several seconds in the other ide
- click stop collection
- optionally note the start and stop times of your reproduction so we can narrow our search
- save the diagnostic report using file > save *.diagsession as...
- send the file to us by sharing a onedrive or other file service link (as it will be too large for email)

For email, you can send me the link via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. This way no need to post it here to the forum.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  1:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, updating VS from 17.9.7 to 17.10.1 also seems to have resolved the issue. So it is version related, both my issues seem to be 17.9.7.
Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually never mind, the issue is back. I've emailed you a profile.
Go to Top of Page

theodoreevans
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  11:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does seem like there could be a potential correlation between the version of Visual Studio 2022 and performance problems on high refresh rate monitors. The fact that someone else reported similar issues, and that updating to the latest version resolved the problem for them, suggests that the specific VS2022 version could be a contributing factor

Edited by - theodoreevans on Jun 05 2024 11:09:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the log files, many thanks for this. I have asked our developers about this, hopefully the logs will help to explain what is going wrong here:

case=164603

Having this bug be dependent on the exact version of VS2022 isn't ideal, but these things do happen.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2024 :  10:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I have now upgraded to the 240hz monitor and VAX is really slowing down visual studio. The default find in files search is now borderline unusable. had to wait almost 45s for VAX to stop whatever it was doing while the search window is refreshing. Why is VAX EVEN interacting with the find in files stuff?!

I made a profile and will send you the log. I have been having the same issue with high refresh rate monitors for several years now and I'm still waiting for a solution?!

Looking at the profile VisualAssist.NavBar.VaCodeWindowMArgin.OnWindowPositionChanged is using up all the CPU time.

Is there any way to get this issue prioritized?!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2024 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this. We are looking into this, but most of us don't have high refresh monitors, so cannot reproduce the problem, even if we can see which functions look to be the problem.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2024 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you like me to buy you a bunch of 144/165hz monitors? They are like 130 pounds each?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2024 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It turns out a couple of our developers work on higher refresh rate monitors, with one on a 120hz refresh rate monitor, and neither developer is seeing the problem at all. Clearly there is a problem, but the fact that we cannot reproduce it suggests that the refresh rate alone isn't the trigger. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us much.

So apologies if I am asking a load of basic questions, but we have to start somewhere.

Are you working on a system with multiple monitors? If so do they all have the same refresh rate, or do different monitors have different refresh rates?

When you have this problem, is the entire IDE on a single monitor? Or do you have the main IDE window spread across monitors, or floating windows on different monitors?

What, exactly, do you do to see the problem?

Given the problem is so constant, do you see the problem in a new, default solution? It is possible that the problem is solution specific, so this is a quick test for that.

Do you have any other IDE extensions installed? I can explain how to set up a test IDE profile if you do have other extensions installed, since this will let you test to see if the problem shows up there, possibly hinting at an interaction problem between VA and the other extensions.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2024 :  4:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent a detailed email with all this information. As I have this issue on both my work and personal computers.

I'll paste an excerpt here:

quote:
Now for testing:

Combining or splitting the windows has no effect.
Windowed/fullscreen has no effect

What does have an effect is, having VS launch/open on a 60hz monitor, then the search is unaffected and instant. If I then move the window onto the 240hz monitor, the issue reappears. Moving visual studio back to 60hz monitor does not fix the issue. So it only goes away if I launch and keep VS on the 60hz monitor.

Hiding the navbar actually does improve the situation as I need to wait much less for the results to complete but its is not as instant as when launching on the 60hz monitor. I've attached two videos of me performing the same search on different monitors. Please note this is actually a best case scenario for VAX since it's often SIGNIFICANTLY slower like 20+ seconds. I'm not entirely sure what the navbar is doing that's causing the issue but it was also the thing that showed up in my profile that I sent you.

I created the test profile but unfortunately there's no change when using it. I have exactly the same behavior as exhibited above.

The solution I'm testing on is the smallest of the ones I generally work in, I have similar if not worse effects in larger solutions.

Additional info:

At work I have a dell G3223Q (4k 144hz) and 2x LG Dual up monitors. At home I have an Aorus FO32U2P (4k 240hz) and 2x LG dual up monitors. My Visual studio is spread across the 32" monitor and one of the LGs.

All I do to see the problem, is just do a "find-in-files" / "find in document" / "Alt-m" or just type. I sent videos of the difference with VAX on and off in the email.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000