Technical Support
 C# is causing lag when typing.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbluemin

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  11:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using Visual Assist 10.9.2515 and Visual Studio 17.9.5.
In C++, everything works perfectly.
However, when I type in C#, it stutters very annoyingly.

If I disable Visual Assist, this goes away.
Has this issue been reported already?

Thanks.

Edited by - sbluemin on Mar 27 2024 11:12:25 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2024 :  07:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recognise this problem, and am not seeing any obvious problems in VS2022 17.9.4 with VA 2515.0

I have just updated VS2022 to version 17.9.5 and still not seeing any obvious signs of a problem like this.

Can you please make a new, default C# solution and see if the problem shows up there? It is possible the problem you are seeing is either file or solution specific.

If you run a CPU monitor, Windows task manager in details mode, on the Performance tab, will let you show logical processors, so you can see the CPU usage per CPU. If you do this, are you seeing a CPU spike on one or more core? It is possible you will see a single core maxing out its CPU usage when the problem happens.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ian.gralinski

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2024 :  7:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also seeing this issue with Visual Assist 2024.2 and Visual Studio 17.9.5.

For now I have reverted to Visual Assist 2023.6. I was not seeing the problem with Visual Assist 2024.1.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  07:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember if you saw this problem in all C# code files, or only some? Is it possible file size is a factor?

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Since I cannot reproduce this here so far, I don't know what might be a factor in triggering this bug, so I am just looking for anything that might offer a possible clue here.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  08:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced the same thing yesterday too and didn't know caused it. I checked Task Manager and Performance Monitor, and didn't see a lot of disk activity, which is what the usual cause of typing slowdowns stems from.

Today I was able to verify it is definitely VAX. Loading a C# project, opening program.cs, and typing with VAX on is very laggy and choppy. Turning VAX off and it types like normal. Turning it back on and it's laggy and choppy again.

My project has four .cs files, only one was open, and it was 987 lines.

Here's my info:

Visual Assist 10.9.2515.0
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2022 Version 17.9.5
VisualStudio.17.Release/17.9.5+34723.18
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.09037
Installed Version: Professional

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Apr 02 2024 08:22:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  08:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, 3 people now seeing this, I am concerned that so far I have not seen the problem here.

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Is this solution a pure C# solution, or does it use C# and C++?

Can you please check the CPU usage on single cores? If this is a "normal" VA slow typing problem, then I would expect you to be seeing a single CPU hitting 100% usage while the slowdown happens. But this normally happens when VA is struggling with deeply complex macro or template C++ code, so should be file specific.

Go to Top of Page

Chazix
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  12:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been encountering this as well on VA 2515, I was able to revert to 2511 to restore stability in the interim.

I'm mainly working in a Unity C# project. This .sln has 60 individual projects, and 5130 files. The (alt-shift-o) file extensions consist of: .cs, .txt, .hlsl, .meta, .asmdef, .shader, .cginc, .compute, .dll, .xml, .h

My Visual Studio is still on a prior version @ 17.8.5

I'm only in C# files the majority of the time, and it was occuring in all C# files from what I recall.

Another thing: I also more than often have multiple .sln open at the same time (client & server). Whereas the server has 47 individual projects, and 4720 files. Both are C# & have similar code outside of server specific preprocessors.

Edited by - Chazix on Apr 03 2024 03:02:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2024 :  10:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the details, solution size is part of the trigger here. I have reproduced this in VS2022 with a C# solution with just under 30,000 files that I put together purely for stress testing. I don't know with what solution size the problem starts to show up, or if there are any other triggers, so if anyone is seeing this in a "small" solution I would be very interested in any details you can provide.

case=164409

Go to Top of Page

Meliodas42
Starting Member

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  04:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem. Normally I only had this when I was under heavy load, but now it always happens in C#.

As already described, the stuttering also occurs for me when typing. But I can also reproduce the stuttering when scrolling alone (ctrl + up / down). When VAX is switched off, it all disappears immediately, no stutter at all.
The file size and how many files are open doesn't seem to matter. I can also reproduce this if only one file with 100 lines is open.

My solution has approx. 32000 files in 376 projects. I had no performance problems with the previous version of VAX.

VA_X64.dll file version 10.9.2515.0 built 2024.03.14
DevEnv.exe version 17.9.34723.18 Professional
msenv.dll version 17.0.34714.143
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.22621.2506
Windows 11 11.0 22H2 Build 22621
16 processors (x86-64)
Language info: 1252, 0x407
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  07:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the details. I have confirmed this is a VA problem in VA 2515.0, no sign of the problem in the previous version VA 2511.0. Also the problem is only showing up for me in VS2022, no sign in VS2017 and VS2019.

I am aware that going back to VA 2511.0 will stop VA applying C# syntax highlighting in VS2022 version 17.9.0 and above, but that's going to be better than being unable to type at anything like a normal speed.

Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  06:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I am also seeing similar issues with a reasonably sized C++ solution (about 60 projects, no where near 30,000 files tho). The only key difference here for me is that it's a time factor: the longer I leave the IDE open, the worse it gets - closing Visual Studio and relaunching the project makes things better for a while.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems unlikely this is the same issue, but definitely a real concern.

First the basics, which IDE and version of VA are you using? If you are using VS2022, which version? It turns out there are some important differences with different versions of VS2022.

Does your solution contain any .cs files? Just checking in case there is some unexpected overlap between the two slow down problems.

What sort of time scale are you seeing the slow down over? 10 minutes? 3 hours? 3 days?

Are you able to close and reload the IDE last thing on the work day, and leave it running overnight? Assuming that would give enough time for the effect to show up, it will tell us if simply having the IDE open is enough, or if you have to actually be working in the IDE for the slowdown to show up. It is tempting to assume you would have to be working for the problem to show up, but that is obviously an assumption.

Go to Top of Page

jmoleary

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  3:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just deleted a duplicate topic I had created for the same issue. I updated VA to 10.9.2515 today. Also updated VS 2022 to 17.9.6 but I see that people are having the same issue with 17.9.5.

I tried closing and reopening Visual Studio. It's not really any better. It slows me down from the moment I open my solution, which consists of 31 C# projects and 15 C++ projects.

I use the mouse wheel for scrolling and first noticed it there but it's everywhere. I had to disable VA to make it usable, sadly. I don't have a downloaded installer of a previous version to go back to. I assume there's an archive on the website somewhere. I'll look for it

I installed the SuperCharger extension to calculate the size of my project. Here is what it reported

ode structure statistics for the entire solution

C# classes : 1,052
C# interfaces : 86
C# structs : 27
C# records : 22
C# record structs : 2
C# enums : 49

C# functions : 5,763
C# properties : 5,639

---------------------------------------------------------------

Code line count statistics for the entire solution

C# comment lines : 25,838
C# empty lines : 34,302
C# pure code lines: 120,371
-----------------------------
Total C# lines : 180,511

Non-C# lines : 371,596

=============================
All lines : 552,107

Edited by - jmoleary on Apr 10 2024 3:22:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  08:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the details. These are not exactly massive numbers. I have confirmed the slow down in a couple of different versions of VS2022, including version 17.8.6, so the version of VS2022 doesn't seem to matter. One small mercy is that it seems to be a VS2022 specific problem.

You can download older builds of VA from this page:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404

There is no sign of the problem in Visual Assist Build 2024.1 for me. The direct download link is:

https://wholetomato.com/downloads/getBuild.asp?VA_X_Setup2511_0.exe

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2024 :  2:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another work around is turning Off

VA Options -> Coloring and Attributes -> Apply coloring to -> Text Editors

keeping VA colouring active outside of the text editor doesn't seem to have any effect on this problem. Not ideal, but perhaps helpful for now.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000