Exception during startup of VS2017 with 2508
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bruceoberg

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2023 :  11:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I start VS 2017, I get a message about an exception which is written to the activity log.

The exception is:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.Classification.cn.n(String ext)
   at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.Classification.cn.p(IVsTextBuffer A_0)
   at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.Classification.cn.VsTextViewCreated(IVsTextView textViewAdapter)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.<>c__DisplayClass423_0.<SendVsTextViewCreated>b__0()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.CallExtensionPoint(Object errorSource, Action call)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)

This machine has 10 different versions of VS on it, including 2015 and 2022. VA was installed a long time ago for older versions of VS. I had just installed VA for 2017 and 2022. There were some registry issues I had to work through, but VA claims to be registered now.

As soon as VA was registered for 2017, I started getting this exception when opening VS to no project. I do not get any exceptions when running VS 2022 with VA installed/registered.

Every boot of 2017 throws up a big dialog about this exception.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18936 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2023 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange. Can you please load VS2017, then go into:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

and find VA in the list of installed extensions and disable it. This will take an IDE restart to take effect. After the restart please go back into this dialog and Enable VA, which will require another IDE restart. Does this have any effect?

I have seen this fix odd exception on startup errors on occasion, so it could be a fix.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000