Page: of 2

roman313_

Russia
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2023 :  05:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Error on startup will loading the Extension in
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2022 (64-bit) - Preview
Version 17.7.0 Preview 4.0

The 'VaMenuPackage' package did not load correctly.

Steps to try to fix:
devenv.exe /Setup - cant't help
Re-install Visual Assist - can't help

Visual Assist work OK, but NO ICONS in menu

PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED

The new version, Build 2023.4, version 10.9.2500 has now been released, and contains the fix for this problem:

https://www.wholetomato.com/downloads

*edited by feline*

Edited by - feline on Aug 25 2023 07:10:19 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2023 :  06:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for reporting this. We are working on this, and think we have a solid solution ready for the next release.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pstemper

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2023 :  5:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same problem with the final release of 17.7.0 (which came out today I believe.)
I reported it to support before I saw this report. Hopefully there is a new version of VA coming soon!
Paul

Paul
Go to Top of Page

gsoft

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2023 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Visual Studio 2022 with new update completely stuck on load. How I can disable visual assist, I cant work.
Go to Top of Page

jkmgs

Austria
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  03:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here! Visual Studio 2022 completely freezes after updating to 17.7 and opening a project. The only way I was able to circumvent the freeze was to press 'No' on the popup that notified me that VaMenuPackage' package did not load correctly before opening any project in the project-overview window. Afterwards VS 2022 runs again. If not pressing anything at all or pressing 'Yes' and then opening a project, it freezes over and over again and the only way to close VS is using the task manager.

Edited by - jkmgs on Aug 09 2023 04:10:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

pstemper

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  09:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got around that. When I start VS, I wait for the "recent" dialog to show (no main VS UI yet.) When the error dialog shows, I click Yes. Then I pick "Open VS without code" from the recent Dialog window. Then as the errors show again, I keep clicking Yes. When those stop, then I can go to the File Menu and load my project. Then VS is working, just not VA.

I haven't tried it yet for THIS problem, but you should be able to start VS in SafeMode, then disable the VA extension, then restart VS in "normal" mode. I had to do that once for a different misbehaving extension.

To start VS in SafeMode:
"Using devenv.exe /SafeMode allows you to run any version of visual studio (devenv.exe) in SafeMode that will disable 3rd party plugins."

"Your mileage may vary"

Paul
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Safe mode and disable VA is one work around that works for me. A second work around is to run the Visual Studio Installer, on the Visual Studio 2022 line, use the More button to show the pull down list, and you will have the option to "Roll back to previous version". This took a little while for me, and also Uninstalled Visual Assist, so I had to reinstall Visual Assist after doing the roll back.

I am asking what can be done to speed up release of a fix for this problem.

Go to Top of Page

pstemper

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard from their technical support (from a ticket I opened.) They have a "test" build they had me try, and so far it has fixed my issue. They are working on a full-test of the build, and once they have it tested, they will be releasing it. I can't imagine it will take them very long, as so far I haven't encountered any issues.
Just be aware they are all over this and will hopefully have a new build out very soon!

Paul
Go to Top of Page

BluGenes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2023 :  07:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea, if your VS gets "stuck" on startup, in Windows, just click the task bar icon and it reveals the popup error dialog, answer no, and VS starts up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2023 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are actively working on a new release with the fix required for the latest version of Visual Studio 2022, and hope to have it out soon, assuming everything goes smoothly with release testing. Obviously we don't want to rush out a new build with different problems.

Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

93 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2023 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

We are actively working on a new release with the fix required for the latest version of Visual Studio 2022, and hope to have it out soon, assuming everything goes smoothly with release testing. Obviously we don't want to rush out a new build with different problems.

Ahhh not since the very start of v2022 have I been without VAX. And my life is utterly painful and nightmarish without it.
Go to Top of Page

FAN

33 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2023 :  04:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Would it be possible for you to have a beta version available on your download page? I think this is very common for software distribution these days.

For example, GitHub Desktop handles this very well: https://desktop.github.com/beta/
"The beta channel has the latest features and bug fixes being tested for the next production release.
As a beta user, you may occasionally experience a bug or broken builds. We greatly appreciate issue tickets so we can resolve them before they make it into a production build"
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2023 :  08:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a support point of view, people tend to treat beta releases as full releases. Google has been training people to do this for years.

Also, even after going through full internal testing, we still sometimes miss serious bugs. It would be nice if that didn't happen, but it does.

Having said that, if you are happy trying an internal build, and your support runs through 1st August 2023 just let me know and I will email you a link to the installer so you can try. So far no reports of problems with this build, but only a few people have tried it so far.

Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2023 :  1:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
but only a few people have tried it so far.

Sounds like a prime opportunity for a beta channel to subscribe to...
Go to Top of Page

shippy

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2023 :  5:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not recommend rolling back. Most of my settings and preferences were reset. So, now instead of just having VA not work, I have to completely set up VS 2022 again.

-Shippy
Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2023 :  06:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shippy

I would not recommend rolling back. Most of my settings and preferences were reset. So, now instead of just having VA not work, I have to completely set up VS 2022 again.

I was forced to roll back, which also reset the MSVC settings, but I was able to recover them and all the extensions using the scheduled disk image backup I do every Sunday. Drastic, but I was getting mondo crashes every 30-ish minutes that caused me to loose some work.
Go to Top of Page

Jackie

China
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2023 :  09:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait, I fixed it by modifying IL, can the official reward me with a genuine activation code.
https://bbs.kanxue.com/thread-278399.htm
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2023 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shippy and NOPcode I am emailing you about this.

case=149882

Go to Top of Page

dbea
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2023 :  2:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just updated to the latest version of VS 2022 (17.7.0) and I'm now also hitting this. Is there any update on when this fix will be released?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2023 :  06:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are aiming for a release in the next few days, if everything goes smoothly with internal testing. Since things don't always go according to plan I am reluctant to commit to a date.

dbea I have emailed you about this, in case you are interested in trying the internal build, via case=149882

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just installed the VS2022 version 17.7.1 update, and it is working fine with the internal build of VA. Also one report of someone else having the same results, just in case anyone is wondering.

We are hoping to have a new build with the fix real soon, so long as everything goes smoothly.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasW
Starting Member

Switzerland
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just installed the VS2022 version 17.7.1 update, and I see the same issue.

Thomas :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have emailed you about this ThomasW, via case=149882

Go to Top of Page

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2023 :  1:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also encountering this problem with VS 2022 17.7.1 with latest VA version.

Its literally my first attempt at using VS 2022 and it crashes on startup...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am emailing you about this CliffyP

Go to Top of Page

Vitalii
Starting Member

Poland
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  06:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same issue. VS 2022 17.7.1 with the latest VA version. Reinstalling VA / repairing Visual Studio didn't help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vitalii I am emailing you about this. Reinstalling or repairing Visual Studio isn't going to help, since the problem is that there has been a change in how Visual Studio 2022 works, and you need a version of Visual Assist with a matching change before VA will work with this version of Visual Studio 2022. We should have a new release very soon.

Go to Top of Page

nitz

20 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey feline!

I'd love to be sent the beta build as well. Thanks for the responsive support on all this!

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2023 :  11:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have emailed you nitz

Go to Top of Page

BluGenes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  11:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Having said that, if you are happy trying an internal build, and your support runs through 1st August 2023 just let me know and I will email you a link to the installer so you can try. So far no reports of problems with this build, but only a few people have tried it so far.

Yea, I don't want a beta build myself, but, what if your support runs out right before that date? I would have to buy another license to fix this?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2023 :  05:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can just stick with using an older version of Visual Studio 2022. Version 17.6.6 works just fine. In fact you can download installers for older versions of Visual Studio 2022 from this page if this helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/release-history

More generally though, if an update to Visual Studio that is released after your support period ends makes a breaking change that requires a new version of Visual Assist to work with, or a new version of Visual Studio is released, which again would require a new version to support, you would need to renew your support to get access to the new version of Visual Assist.

I hope this makes sense.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000