VA Outline Search Feature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Einztein

China
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  04:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be better if there is a QUICK SEARCH BAR on the top of VA Outline when we have to read a long page of code, so that we can find something quickly.

It seems that this is necessary, others such as JetBrains have this feature.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  06:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware of the Alt-M list, List Methods in File? This is designed to let you quickly search for and jump to a function in the current file:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W192

The idea of VA Outline is that it shows you an overview of the file. If we filter / search this then we are no longer showing you a full outline of the file. Are there times when the Alt-M list doesn't do what you want / need?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Einztein

China
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  12:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you aware of the Alt-M list, List Methods in File? This is designed to let you quickly search for and jump to a function in the current file:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W192

The idea of VA Outline is that it shows you an overview of the file. If we filter / search this then we are no longer showing you a full outline of the file. Are there times when the Alt-M list doesn't do what you want / need?

Yes, it is the function, the Alt-M List, however, as your signature says, "zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness". Alt-M List is a good function, but i want it to be part of VA Outline, at least i want to have a choice. I don't like the toolbar of Alt-M List keeping open while i don't need it, I like the bar provided by VS origin.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  1:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not showing the navigation bar would certainly explain why this would be helpful. We are considering adding a window that is designed to show a searchable / filterable list of methods in the current file:

case=118438

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000