Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 How to disable "Insert Closing" in XAML files?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmoleary

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  4:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a solution with both C++ projects and C#/XAML projects

In the VA Settings, under the "Editor" category, VA has the following checkbox

Insert () and Closing }])'"

This works well enough. But there seems to be no way to make it apply only to .CPP/.H files.

Because I also use JetBrains Resharper for my WPF/XAML stuff. I want Resharper's code-completion there. But when I am trying to type this line in XAML

<RowDefinition Height="Auto" />

As soon as I type the first quotation mark, VA and Resharper apparently conspire together to present me with the following

<RowDefinition Height="""

So I have to manually go back and undo that third quotation mark.

If there were a way to make VA realize I don't want any completion behavior in non C++ files that would be great but I cannot see one.

The only setting that looks close (disable completion in C# files) obviously has no effect.

So every time I edit XAML, I am forced to either turn off VA or turn off this setting. It would be nice if I could tell VA just to make it not work in XAML.

Is there a setting I am missing. Or is this feature suggestion?

(Note: I love that VA's "OpenCorresponding" feature switches me between XAML files and their corresponding Xaml.cs files. I don't want that to stop working. I just want it to give me more control over which files it affects my typing.

Edited by - jmoleary on Feb 01 2023 4:10:05 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VA setting is all or nothing. Does turning off this VA setting stop the problem from happening? I just want to make sure, and not just assume, that VA is part of why you are getting this. Can you turn off the equivalent setting in Resharper, to avoid the extra double quote?

Trying to get VA to ignore XAML files is likely to break Alt-O, which you do want working, so that isn't a good solution.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jmoleary

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, turning off the setting makes the problem go away as well as turning off VA altogether. In fact turning off Resharper also makes the problem go away so clearly it is an interaction between the two. But this is a file where I want Resharper to do its stuff. I guess I'll just turn off the VA setting.

Edited by - jmoleary on Feb 02 2023 9:37:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2023 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From this page:

https://www.jetbrains.com/help/resharper/Reference__Options__Environment__Editor__Editor_Behavior.html

you should have the ReSharper option "Auto-insert pair brackets, parenthesis and quotes", so if you turn this off you can, in theory, leave the VA option enabled, and everything will work as you want.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000