New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Woody

Czech Republic
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2023 :  08:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I have frequent freezes of VS 2022 (both 17.4.4 and 17.5 Preview 3.0)
My solution is a large Unity game, C#. Every freeze happens after an alt-tab to Visual Studio and immediate shift+alt+O to open file in solution. The VS turns white and in 95% of cases it never recovers. I've never seen the same in VS2019 I was using for years.
Anyone else having the same issue?

Regards,
Tomas

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18097 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  08:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recognise this problem description, and obviously this should not happen.

If you pause for a few seconds after the Alt-Tab, before opening Open File dialog, does this make a difference?

Can you please check Windows Task Manger in detailed mode, and see if Visual Studio is using a lot of CPU, or other resources, when this happens? Since the IDE occasionally recovers, it is possible it is caught in a loop, doing "something".

Does the Open File dialog actually display at all? I am wondering if you can see if the dialog has been populated with your file list or not.

Would it be possible to get a mini dump of the IDE in this problem state? The concern with doing this is that it can reveal some symbol information about your solution, but we are only interested in looking for the cause of the hang, but I do need to mention this so you are aware. If this is an option, this page explains saving out a mini dump file:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W303

and then send me a link to download the file via the email:

support@wholetomato.com

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. As a rule dump files are to large to email as attachments.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2023 :  2:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you pause for a few seconds after the Alt-Tab, before opening Open File dialog, does this make a difference?
Yes, I think if I wait a bit it's fine. But it's hard to proof, because it's not a 100% reproducible.

Can you please check Windows Task Manger in detailed mode, and see if Visual Studio is using a lot of CPU, or other resources, when this happens? Since the IDE occasionally recovers, it is possible it is caught in a loop, doing "something".

VS is using one core and it looks like VAX is just processing messages

Does the Open File dialog actually display at all? I am wondering if you can see if the dialog has been populated with your file list or not.
If it's frozen, the dialog never appears. Very rarely it unfreezes and the dialog is there.

Sadly, I can't send you minidump, but I made this video to better show how it behaves:
https://youtu.be/osRIxMoYh5g

Regards,
Tomas
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18097 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2023 :  06:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you can reproduce this fairly much on demand, can you please try the following to set up a test profile in Visual Studio, to see if the problem occurs there as well? It is possible the trigger is profile specific, which would help to explain why I don't recognise this problem.

First download the VS2022 specific installer for Visual Assist from:

https://downloadfiles.idera.com/WholeTomato/VA_X_Setup2471_0_x64.vsix

Next you will need extra details about the IDE install to create a test profile, which you get from running:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe"

There will be a set of lines for each different version of Visual Studio that you have installed. For the version you want to install into, you want the "productPath", "dispalyName" and "installationVersion" lines, e.g.

productPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
displayName: Visual Studio Professional 2022
installationVersion: 17.4.33213.308

You can then use the information from these three lines to make sure that the following command has the correct command line parameters. The values are:

/appidname: = displayName:
/appidinstallpath: = productPath:
/skuVersion = installationVersion:

The "/skuName:" value is one of "Community / Pro / Enterprise", note for the Professional version it is "Pro", not the expected "Professional".

The working command, for VS2022, using the values above, is - split into lines to make it easier to read and edit:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe"
/appidinstallpath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
/skuName:Pro
/appidname:"Visual Studio Professional 2022"
/skuVersion:17.4.33213.308
/rootSuffix:"VATest" "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2471_0_x64.vsix"

The "rootSuffix" is the name of the test profile you want to install to, and this will be created if it does not already exist. The final parameter is the path of the VSIX installer for Visual Assist that you want to install. Once you have the command set up, the only parts you should need to edit are the skuVersion and the path to the VSIX file, can you please close all instances of Visual Studio and run this command.

Running this command installs VA into the test profile, but it does not load the test profile. If you created the test profile by installing VA, when you run the test profile it will be using the default IDE settings, without asking you which settings you want to use.

To now load the test profile you use the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 and VS2022 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2021 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000