Setup executable silently fails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alistair

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2022 :  10:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to update to 2435 (most recent build I've got maintenance for) as I've recently installed VS 2022 and want to use the extension there, but the installer is silently failing - no UI appears, and I can't see a process running. I've tried rebooting, running as admin, and also tried running the VA_X_Setup2420 which I had previously successfully installed (to VS 2017 and 2019), and which is now also not working. Any idea how to get around this?

Alistair

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2022 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out we have a more recent license, I was able to install 2458_0 successfully.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  12:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone else who run's into the problem with the installer silently failing, this is normally triggered by having installed a recent build of Visual Studio 2022.� This causes you to run into a bug that causes our older exe installers to crash when they try to work out which versions of Visual Studio you have installed.

To work around this can you please right click on the exe installer, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog.� If you enable "Compatibility mode" and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 the installer will load and run without any problems.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000