QuickInfo not working when running debugger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2022 :  07:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick Info is not working for me at all. I have intellisense disabled. I have tried to enable QuickInfo by going into Visual Assist Options -- Display and checking "Show Quick Info tooltips for more symbols," as well as the two boxes under it. But I'm getting no Quick Info. When I hover over a symbol, nothing. When I click Ctrl-K Ctrl-I, nothing.

Kelby

Edited by - Kelby on Jan 30 2022 07:48:58 AM

Kelby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2022 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I enable Intellisense, I am getting the Intellisense Quick Info, rather than the Visual Assist version. And when I launch UE4 using the Local Debugger, even Intellisense doesn't give me anything.

Kelby
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  11:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which type of symbols are you seeing this problem with, or is it all of them?

If you place the caret into one of these symbols where you get no tooltip, what, if anything, is shown in VA's context and definition fields? These are normally at the top of the editor window and are where the alt-m list appears.

I am trying to work out if this is a "VA doesn't understand anything" or a "VA won't show tooltips on mouse hover" problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Kelby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  9:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the issues for all symbols.

When I click on a symbol and get no tooltip, the context and definition fields show the declaration. So, for example, when I am in the .cpp file and click on a call to MyFunction, the context/definition field shows void MyFunction(int MyInt).

Kelby
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  07:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using?

I am able to reproduce this problem in VS2022, even when IDE intellisense is enabled. While editing tooltips are showing up, but when debugging (just running the solution, not even using a breakpoint) IDE tooltips don't show up.

Unfortunately there is a bug with VA and VS2022 which is stopping VA tooltips from appearing in the editor window when IDE intellisense is disabled, which looks like it is also showing up here:

case=146411

If you are using a different IDE then we have a different issue.

Go to Top of Page

Kelby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2022 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using VS2022.

Kelby
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2022 :  06:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then we are seeing the same problem. There are two triggers here, one is the VA bug I have listed, which we are aware of and looking to fix. The second is that VS2022 its self stops showing tooltips on mouse hover in debug mode, which doesn't make much sense at all, but since we are both seeing it, its not a system specific quirk.

Other VA features do still work, so placing the caret into the symbol name will show information in the Context and Definition fields.

If you show VA Outline, and place keyboard focus into the editor window, then the Hovering Class Browser, the bottom section, will update with class information for the symbol you are hovering the mouse over, which can be quite helpful, depending on what you want to know.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000