Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pk_asw
Ketchup Master

Czech Republic
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  08:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
my visual studio 2019 hangs very often during project loading. It doesn't happen when VAX is disabled. Both VS and VAX are updated. I have created process dump where I see several VAX threads. Can you please look at those threads? Download link was sent to "feline".

Thanks, Petr

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the file, thank you for this.

Is this a new problem, or one you have been seeing for a while?

Is VS2019 the only version of the IDE you have installed, or do you have other versions installed as well?

Does this problem appear to be project specific?

As a temporary work around, can you please close all instances of the IDE and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

this will create and load a new, default profile for Visual Studio, so you will be asked which basic settings you want to use, and you should only have the standard, default IDE extensions installed. Visual Assist will not be installed into this profile, so it should be safe from any problems, allowing you to work.

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 and VS2022 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  10:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which language or languages does the problem solution use?

When the IDE hangs does the taskbar actually get updated with "Not Responding" by Windows, or is it just slow, but you are still able to interact with it to some degree?

Is the problem solution on a local drive, or some form of network or mapped directory?

Go to Top of Page

pk_asw
Ketchup Master

Czech Republic
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which language or languages does the problem solution use?

C, C++
quote:
When the IDE hangs does the taskbar actually get updated with "Not Responding" by Windows, or is it just slow, but you are still able to interact with it to some degree?

VS Window's taskbar shows "Not Responding" for >20 mins and it was unresponsible.

quote:
Is the problem solution on a local drive, or some form of network or mapped directory?

Local C drive, the entire solution/files are stored locally. Solution is quite "big".

quote:
Is this a new problem, or one you have been seeing for a while?

I see it for a while (~1 year), sometimes it hangs, sometimes it works. I used several VS 2019 versions during that time (manually auto-updated) and VAX as well (auto-updated manually; or reinstall).

quote:
Is VS2019 the only version of the IDE you have installed, or do you have other versions installed as well?

Only one VS 2019 version.

Given all requested information, should I still perform "/RootSuffix VATest" command, or do you need more information (or debugging information) before I proceed that command?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

pk_asw
Ketchup Master

Czech Republic
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  11:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solution hangs after ~5-10 sec when it's opened.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2022 :  12:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "/RootSuffix VATest" command will give you a separate IDE profile, without VA, so you should be able to just load the IDE without any problems in this profile. This is both to let you just work without any problems, and also to test to see if this problem is somehow profile specific.

How often, approximately, does this hang happen? Half the time? 1 in 10? 90% of the time?

Do you have IDE intellisense enabled or disabled? This is normally disabled via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> IntelliSense -> Disable IntelliSense = True

if it is Enabled, can you please try Disabling it to see if this has any effect on this problem?

Do you have any other solutions you work on? I am wondering if this is a solution specific problem, or if it effects all solutions that you try to load.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000