Accepting VAX suggestion eats scope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stefan_reinalter

Austria
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2021 :  07:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever VAX suggests e.g. an identifier, macro name, etc. it will eat the following scope upon accepting the suggestion with either ENTER or TAB.

Here's a short GIF that shows what's happening:

Notice that when I start typing MACRO in front of Works() and accept it, the result will be "MACROWorks();".
However, when doing the same with Nested::Fails, as soon as I accept MACRO with ENTER, the result will be "MACRO::Fails();", because VAX has eaten the "Nested" scope.

I wouldn't mind it that much if the behaviour was consistent, but it's not, and that throws off muscle memory.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2021 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that's not supposed to happen. This behaviour is controlled by this registry key setting:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W640

by default VA should never overwrite a known symbol after the caret. This is working correctly for the function name but failing for the namespace. Using the above setting you can tell VA to never overwrite, which will avoid the random element that is happening here.

We have seen this once or twice before, but its quite rare. I have added this example to the bug report, thank you for this:

case=140801

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000