Feature Requests
 Ability To Run Just The Tests With A Breakpoint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajorians

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2021 :  1:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have test projects and at the moment I can run all tests, all project tests, a test class or an individual test (I can also run with a pattern with command-line).

I think it would be helpful that if I had breakpoints in N-number of tests a way where just those tests that have a breakpoint in them are run.

I did look for and try to find a way to do this myself. I figured maybe I could write something in the test code but I think I need an extension installed as my program doesn't seem to be able to ask the IDE what breakpoints are enabled.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2021 :  10:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assume I don't know anything about the test project type you are using

By the sounds of it, the first problem is that a breakpoint doesn't, by its self, give you a test to run. You would have to get the scope of the bookmark. That might be something VA could do, but I am not sure about then running the tests from here. This sounds like it might well be outside VA's area.

Have you looked into one of the extensions for adding IDE macros back to Visual Studio? If you just want a way to iterate across the bookmarks, and perform some "simple and well defined" action on each result this may well work well for you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ajorians

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2021 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

I figured this might be outside VA's area. No problem. :)

Though I haven't used IDE macros in Visual Studio; I have used the 'DTE' before and know I can get the breakpoints & bookmarks. I was hopeful I could check-in code that when ran could somehow iterate across these items and decide for itself what tests to run. But it looks like I'll need something installed on Visual Studio to make it work. I'll try your approach or a extension that could enable querying this data.

Thanks for reading and considering!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000