clone output window content after build
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slymz

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2021 :  8:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA Find References Results has this most useful "Clone Results" option: One can make an expensive search with many results, e.g. callsites of a function across the solution and clone it. Then, work on each callsite one at a time, while possibly using smaller scoped Find References locally many times over in the same default pane, without loosing the original search.

Exactly the same workflow is occasionally needed for building a solution: Run a full build, investigate errors one at a time in each file. While investigating and fixing each error, we may want to compile individual files. But that resets the Output Window!

Visual Assist seems to have the technology to fix this problem as an extension: Cloneable Output Window, and build results.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2021 :  06:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This actually makes a lot of sense as an idea. Why pick the output window, rather than the error list window? Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Personally I work off the error list window, since it has already picked out the key points from the output window, but this just changes the window we are interested in cloning. I have put in a feature request, to see what our developers make of this idea:

case=144654

As a partial work around, if you copy the error lines from the output window, you get lines like:

2>c:\src\test_general.cpp(21): error C2065: 'sdfhsdfhdsf': undeclared identifier

if you extract the file name and line, so:

test_general.cpp(21)

here, you can paste this directly into VA's Open File dialog, which will then open the file and go directly to this line in one step. This makes it a lot easier to jump to the errors that were listed.

You can do the same thing with the entries in the error list window, but here you have to wrap the line number in brackets, since otherwise VA doesn't know that it is a line number, as opposed to another search filter for a filename containing a number.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

slymz

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  11:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clonable Error List is also super useful. They go hand in hand actually: selecting an item in the Error List also highlights the corresponding line in Output Window, which contains more context (must for most C++ errors). The feature should rather be cloneable Output/Error List session actually.

Thanks for that workaround. I didn't realize you could paste line locations into VA Open File. Very cool tip! Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2021 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had never realised that the error list moves you to the matching position in the output window! That is rather useful to know, thank you for that bit of information

This would make the feature somewhat more complex, since instead of just cloning the information into a single tool window, we would need linked windows. Still, I have added this to the feature request, to see what our developers make of this idea.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000