New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA is bugging me with wrong completions for XML tags in comments.

example:
/// <summary>
/// A name for this section.<br
/// </summary>

at the "<br" VA suggests to insert "before" and typing "/" completes inserting the suggestion. VA should either not suggest anything in comments or understand that I am typing a XML tag.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally VA does not suggest anything in a comment / XML block, you have to specifically trigger a VA listbox.

I am seeing a listbox appear when typing the < character in both VS2017 and VS2019, but it is coming from the IDE, it's nothing to do with VA. If you disable VA via:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

do you still see this listbox? If so, what sort of listbox is it? Are you getting VA Snippets being suggested perhaps? Just trying to work out why you would be seeing a listbox inside a comment block.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  10:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
comes up automatically

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2020 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please see if this is file or even solution specific?

I have imported settings you sent in a little while ago, and so far I cannot reproduce this here. So I am wondering if somehow something in the surrounding code is helping to trigger this effect.

Also, can you see if turning Off:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists

stops this happening? From the look of the screen shot it should, except that since you are in a comment block VA shouldn't be doing this regardless.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  05:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, stops when suggestion lists is turned off.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And its file specific. No idea why yet. Makes no sense. Some files show it, some dont. Even in other solutions.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you create a new, default C# solution, and copy across and add one of the files that produces this effect, do you still see the problem? I am trying to see if the problem is inside the file its self, or the file is interacting with something in the wider solution.

If it is just in the single file its self, would it be possible to get a copy of the file, purely for testing purposes? I can then try trimming down the file to figure out what is triggering this effect. At least knowing it is file specific explains why I have not been able to reproduce it here yet.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  10:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i mentioned, it happens in some files, in other not. Will try to figure it out here.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  11:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The offer stands if you are able to share the code and want someone else to sort through the files for you. Hopefully you can pin down a pattern fairly quickly and easily.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  1:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I disable https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W166#bits then the comment suggestions disappear. But no idea yet what triggers them.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  05:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes some sense, the listbox items make sense if they are coming from the surrounding code. But I still cannot reproduce this here, and still don't expect VA listboxes to appear unprompted inside a comment block.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I�ll send you two files where I see that happening, they are nothing really different from a standard C# class. My config you still have, all suggestions/completions enabled.

What I noticed though is that when I type "<" the completions list from VS comes up with the tags valid in comments, after the first letter VA kicks in with its suggestions, when I cancel VA's list and type Ctrl+Space, the forced completion list comes up with results mixed from VS+VA. Makes any sense?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  10:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will keep an eye out for the files, hopefully I can reproduce the effect here with them.

The last part makes some sense, since CTRL-SPACE is supposed to trigger a VA listbox inside a comment, ideal for typing in class / symbol names and having the listbox fill in for you. The mix of IDE and VA entries is a little odd, but if we assume VA suggestions merging with an IDE listbox, then it makes some sense.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, but suggesting "region" is not appropriate at all, and "reader" is a funcion parameter name somewhere down below. Makes no sense at all.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  07:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files, thank you for these:

case=142100

and I am finally getting some sign of the problem here! Adding your settings helped.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally happening usefully, and on demand. The only difference is that so far I am only ever getting VA suggestions in the listbox, not the mixture of VA and IDE items that you sometimes see.

The effect is somewhat file specific, but it also depends on the letter you type after "<", it looks like only letters that will prompt a suggestion from surrounding code are coming up, but that's just a guess. Note that surrounding includes code below the current line as well as above.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000