Loss of XAML functionality in VS2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VAx used to nicely play with XAML for me in VS2017, but since going to 2019, a lot of that is gone. I'm hoping something just got misconfigured because I keep lamely pressing keys and having nothing happen.

Alt+g used to be way better than F12 for taking me to definitions of various bindings, but now does nothing.

Alt+o used to toggle between .xaml and .xaml.cs and now does nothing.

Oh, just found this "[VS2019] Disable VA in xaml/asp files to workaround crash closing the editor on Windows 10 1903 with July .NET Framework 4.8 KB4506991 update when "Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities" is checked (set VA reg value "OverridePmaCrashWorkaround" to 01 to restore previous behavior, for example if the fix for the bug in KB4506991 is released before the next VA update). (case=141042)"

Is there a timeline on that fix? How frequent is the crash if I decide to re-enable it?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  1:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So long as you have turned Off the IDE setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities (requires restart)

then enabling the registry setting "OverridePmaCrashWorkaround" should be completely safe. Unfortunately the crash that prompted this change is tied to something happening inside Windows and the IDE it's self, and it is hard for VA to know if your system will be affected or not, so for now we are erring on the safe side, by disabling a feature that might crash the IDE.

I hope this makes sense.

Please make sure you exit all instances of the IDE before editing the registry key "OverridePmaCrashWorkaround", which should be found at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet16\OverridePmaCrashWorkaround = 0

since VA writes out its current settings when you exit the IDE, so your change will be overwritten otherwise.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  2:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, life is good again! I'd already had to disable that VS setting for other reasons so we're good to go. Thank you, Feline.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000