Technical Support
 Some new annoying total WTF with VA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pedro123a

45 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  03:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've posted a few extremely annoying bugs with VA, it was irritating me that I didn't even renew license and stopped using it. Recently I installed a new trial again (latest version with vs2017 pro) and it's just killing me with some extreme annoyances.

I have a function, where I have two variables:
bool readDayData(int m, int day, ... whatever)
{
auto& dayData = x[m + day];
}

So, I position caret right after the `m` variable, and I try to select that m variable. Try it. Do you get that extreme WTF that VA does when you try to select m? The moment you press SHIFT, VA freaking changes `m` into `m_`. WTF is this shit seriously!? I don't even use m_bullshitStyle at all, why is it even hardcoded into VA?! Most importantly, in every freaking place VA MUST not change anything that's already a valid variable in its context. Pretty much all these bugs are driving me crazy happen when I edit code, type full name myself without using auto complete or anything and VA freaking messes it up into something broken?!

Up to this date, IT ALWAYS FREAKING CHANGES <string> into <string.h>. What a pile of dog shit seriously, drives me mad! Check my other posts, I'm fairly sure all those bugs still exist and weren't addressed.
If I type exactly this:
`#include <string`
and then press final `>` char, VA adds `.h`. Honestly, I really like this web editor, it's been a while when typing `#include <string>` would just work, what relief! You can't imaging that VA used to be my favorite tool (I've been using it for more than 10 years), and now I freaking hate this shit. Do you even use it, doesn't it drive you mad with all these annoyances all over the place!

I have a clean setup of VS2017, only VA, nothing else, no other tools like resharper etc. I won't provide any more feedback, won't be debugging, I prefer to delete it once and for all from my PC at this point or just install some version from 5 years ago that wasn't this extremely irritating with breaking valid code into something invalid.

pedro123a

45 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  03:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to make sure, I don't want to go to VA settings to update anything. The important message is: if at some context XXX is a valid variable in the function (or as a class member) then VA should STOP messing with the code and offering some freaking random garbage choices. I understand it might be complex to deduce if a variable is valid, but I don't want to be distracted when I type code, it just breaks work flow when I constantly try to fight with VA that f%cks things up for no reason.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelH

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me give you my experience (step-by-step)

I start typing:

#in

at this point VA provides me with snippets for `#include ""` and `#include <>` I can either continue typing or accept either one of them with TAB or ENTER (if I do so, skip the next paragraph)

But I continue typing...

#include <

at this point VA helpfully completes the <> (or "" if I did that) and places my cursor between the <> or ("")
I keep typing...

#include <string>

Here VA has a bit of trouble guessing what I mean and offers me a great dropdown of possible things to include... Were I to press ">", TAB or ENTER at this point VA would unfortunately assume I mean the top choice of the dropdown and put that in. But there is another way.

I hit ESC.

#include <string>

There it is, I have typed `#include <string>`, without fuss, without needing to configure anything, just like that.

Also I just tried you code snipped with the m... no matter what I do, I can't make it turn into m_ - then again, your unwilligness to change anything in the settings/options (rooted in the expectation that VA - out of the box - must be perfectly configured for you?)... well, I suppose I can't help you there. Maybe VA really isn't the tool for you.

Edited by - MichaelH on Jun 27 2019 09:10:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  3:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to see you go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000