New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while ago I vaguely remember there was some way to cache the parsing of system files and rarely changed header files. Right now every time I load a project it spends the first couple minutes reparsing the boost library headers (and possibly other things too, but boost is the most obvious. I looked around a bit, but couldn't find it. No doubt I'm looking in the wrong place.

As a result I have to wait until its done for certain actions. It's not a big deal most of the time, but if I need to jump quickly into something I can't.

This is for VS 2017. It's possible I have this in place for VS 2010 since I don't really notice the startup parsing in 2010, but it's been too long and I can't remember what it was.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  1:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup. Specifically, it will show if you have the Boost directory in the list of stable include directories.

This is the cache you are thinking of, and if it is not in the list, it is easy to add it. If it is already in the list then we have a different problem at work here.

This page explains what we are looking for and working with here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W213

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  1:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking a quick look at this I can see that the boost directories are not in there. I'm presuming you mean the "stable includes"? This looks like it matches the C/C++ directories list. This was all grayed out, but I see there is a custom selection. I added the main folder there. Should that do it?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  2:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With your solution open in the IDE, can you please show the Solution Explorer window, and then open the properties for your project.

There are two sets of include directories that I am interested in, in these options. Can you please look at both:

Project properties -> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories

Project properties -> VC++ Directories -> Include Directories

which, if either of them, is the Boost include directory listed in? I am guessing it is listed in the first, the C/C++ General directory. If so can you please move the boost directory to the VC++ directory setting location instead. Now save the changes and restart the IDE. VA should now add the boost headers to your stable include directories list, thus adding them to the cache. This change should show up in the VA options dialog on the C/C++ Directories page.

If so, now please press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart the IDE. This will probably take a couple of minutes, but hopefully not much longer, but now the boost header files will be in the cache, and won't have to be rescanned all of the time.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  3:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's actually in the "VC++ Directories -> Include Directories", but indirectly. We have a master include folder that contains a lot various libraries via subfolders. Boost is one of those (aptly named "boost"). A typical include would look like:

#include <boost/range/algorithm.hpp>

Counterintuitively to VAX perhaps the files in the include subfolders rarely change, but the files in the main include folder change much more often. Those are for own DLLs which get updated every so often as needed. It would probably make more sense to have those off in another subfolder too, but that's not the way it is right now.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  06:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so it sounds like the project settings aren't going to work as well as we would like.

Can you please go into the VA options dialog -> C/C++ Directories page, and set the Platform drop down list to Custom. You can now set the directories that VA should cache in this list, so your Boost directory, plus the other stable libraries.

It will require an IDE restart and VA to rebuild its symbol databases for this change to take effect, but this should not be to slow.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000