Display guess and comment references separately
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  11:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I normally have these 2 categories hidden in Find References to avoid the list of results being overfilled with nonsense in unreal, but sometimes it's useful to enable them.

The problem is that then the results will become mixed together with the others, and I have to go over the entire list again to figure out which new ones were added by enabling the option. (Or turn off all of the other options first, which is really clunky)

So maybe it would be useful if these 2 rarely used categories could be displayed separately in the results, like this:

Or maybe they could be grouped in the existing tree by having these 3 categories as a level above the project they were found in? It would be really useful either way.

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2019 :  11:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing that would be useful is to add indicators for which options are enabled to the toolbar there, currently only inherited and overriden references have an indicator for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently the Find References Results are grouped by project, and then by file. So splitting out the comment and guess results like this would probably produce a rather confused and hard to read result list. This would work fairly well so long as the number of comment and guess results in a given file was the same as the number of "normal" results in that file, but if there were 2 or 3 "normal" results and 30 comment hits... Then you are going to end up with a display with a lot of blank vertical space in it, that is confusing.

I see the point you are getting at, but I am not sure off hand how to set about doing this without causing as many problems as we fix.

For telling them apart, are you aware that the guess entries have a question mark icon at the start of the line, and the comment results have a comment "dot" icon at the start of the line? This is to help you work out which ones are which as you look at the results list.

Adding these settings to the toolbar in the Find References Results window makes sense, and this is something we are considering. I have added your reason to the case:

case=96669

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000