New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pabst2k

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  06:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello VA Team,

I'm using VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2231.0 built 2017.08.15 with MS VS Professional 2017 15.8.7.

When I use "Quick Actions and Refactorings (VA)" a lot of times everything (except the last two entries) is grayed out. When I switch to "Surround With (VA)" for a second and then come back everything is as expected. Happens especially often with "Create file" and "Create Implementation" but not always. Seems to be some kind of refresh issue.

Thanks,
pabst2k

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any pattern to when you are seeing this? When you have just changed files? Opened a new file?

What position is the caret (spot where the keyboard typing happens) in when you have this? Inside a function name? A class name? White space in the file?

It does sound like VA has not yet had time to catch up with the current position of the caret, but that should not happen this often.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pabst2k

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  07:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to record a minimal example but failed -_- Then I tried it in my work project and couldn't reproduce it either, everything worked as it should.
Once I am able to find a pattern I will post this here.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  4:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I am wondering if the size of your solution could be a factor here.

Another thought is that this mainly happens in certain "large" or "complex" files, that our parser has to work harder to understand. For context, my test for a "large" code file is 23,000 lines long. But sometimes much shorter files that do a lot of complex macro calling can also slow down our parser, which would explain what you have seen here.

Go to Top of Page

pabst2k

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3463 files in my solution right now, 1339 without external files.

My files are usually not longer then a few hundred lines of code while containing not too much "complex" stuff like macros I would say.

I am very sure I saw this in newly created files that only had like 30 lines of code.

Edited by - pabst2k on Nov 22 2018 4:35:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2018 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems safe to say that this is not down to the solution or file size then.

My next thought is a VA symbol database rebuild. Unless you have quite a few stable include directories this should only take a minute or two, normally, but during this time VA will be busy, and won't have a full understanding of the solution or the symbols, so this could also explain what you were seeing.

Beyond this, outside of a pattern, I am left guessing that your system was busy, so it was taking a few moments longer than normal for VA to catch up. Possibly due to editing a header file, and this encouraging the IDE intellisense parser to do quite a lot of parsing.

Just educated guess work for now though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000