Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2017 installation error (not installable)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

a.blintsov
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2018 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I try to install a trial version of VA on my work PC it gives me an error:

this extension is not installable on any currently installed Visual Studio

I have VS 2017 Professional and I thought it is supported.

Any help with this?

Edited by - a.blintsov on Oct 31 2018 09:53:11 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2018 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the file name of the installer you are running? I am mostly interested in the version number at the end of the name.

VS2017 Professional is definitely supported, and works well, but if you are running a fairly old installer this can happen. You can download the current version of our installer from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

which should give you the file "VA_X_Setup2291_5.exe" with this size and checksum:

Size: 33816328 bytes (32 MiB)
SHA1: 807EA668BE65F26B51BDF78D0CA683A3F70AFA15

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Magentus

9 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2018 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a similar problem. During VA installation the "VSIX Installer failed." error message was displayed a couple of times. The installer then went on to install VA for VS 2015 and older VS versions.

After the installation was done, I could start older versions of VS, but not VS 2017 (Professional).

BTW feline, I checked the size of VA_X_Setup2291_5.exe I downloaded, it is the same as in your post and the SHA1 hash matches.

Something is definitely off with this installer, my VS 2017 (15.7.6) cannot start after I ran the VA installation. I have now uninstalled VA and am repairing my VS.

Edited by - Magentus on Nov 02 2018 5:27:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2018 :  06:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA should not effect starting the IDE. Normally the worst that happens is that the IDE reports an exception / error with VA during loading, and does not load VA, but continues to load its self normally. Obviously this is not what happened here.

As for installing VA, we are actually just giving the IDE a renamed zip file, so the installing is down to the IDE its self. So hopefully the repair of Visual Studio will fix all of these problems without any further problems.

If after the repair you are still having problems, can you try running the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

which will load the IDE with a new, default profile. If for some reason the problem is with your default profile, instead of the whole install, this should work. To load your normal profile just load the IDE normally, without any command line switches.

Go to Top of Page

Magentus

9 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2018 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VS repair seems to have done the trick. I uninstalled VA, rebooted and then reinstalled it. This time everything worked fine.

Edited by - Magentus on Nov 05 2018 12:38:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2018 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am rather glad this fixed the problem. Still, this isn't the fastest fix ever. Fingers crossed this stays fixed for you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000