New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tony.riviere
Ketchup Master

France
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  11:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like VAX reformat the comments of a function or a class in the quick info tooltip ; especially it removes consecutive whitespace to keep only one. The direct side effect is that it removes the formatting if we have piece of code in the comment:

I don't know if it is wanted feature or not. I was expecting that it preserve the formatting.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the effect here, but since the tooltip is using a non fixed space font, the indenting isn't going to be very informative regardless. It will work for one level, but telling different levels of indenting apart? That is quickly going to start getting tricky.

It's a question of how much we want to show in a "preview" of the comment. For small comments everything fits into the tooltip just fine, but as the comment block gets bigger, there comes a point where only some of the comment is shown in the tooltip. Do you have a lot of preview code like this in tooltips? Does the code ever get more complex than one level of indenting?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tony.riviere
Ketchup Master

France
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  04:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the function had a template parameter (not shown in the screenshot), and I was using the comments to show an example of code the function was expecting. I ended up this by adding just the expected prototype:
/// @tparam TFunc    ExpRet(ExpParam...)

But you're right, since the font in the tooltip is not a good one to display code, it may not be the right place to do so.

However it's a bit weird that all whitespaces are collapsed unless it's a wanted feature?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how deliberate collapsing all of the white space is, but it is often "useful". It is quite common to come across formatted comment blocks, which work well in the code file, but that won't work well or make much sense when shown in a different font, in a tooltip. Here collapsing the spaces gets as much of the useful content as possible into the available space.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000