New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlawedLogic

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  06:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have the Windows system font size set to 150% normal scale which seems to give me issues with the navigation bar size.

When I first start VS2017 the navigation bar font and size is correct. However when I close all editor tabs and then open one again the font reverts to the normal unscaled size, along with the control it is in, leaving an unsightly unpainted strip below it. Once in this state it stays that way until the next restart; closing the solution does not do it.

Happens every time for me. This is on Windows 7 and I'm using Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (v15.8).

Not massively important I know, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

Thanks,

Steve.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The settings give here should help a bit:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W814

but based on my experiments so far, the best fix involves also changing your OS to Windows 10. VS2017 on its own handles high DPI better on Windows 10 than it does on Windows 7, even without VA installed. Still, this should help a bit.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

FlawedLogic

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks. I wasn't planning on changing to Windows 10 until I replace this machine so I guess I'll have to live with it for a while (I can't read 9pt font on my screen!).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  09:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I should have mentioned that you probably want to increase the font size from 9pt. That was the recommended font size for 200% DPI, which is what people running retina displays are using.

Outside of high DPI, I am not seeing a lot of obvious advantages to Windows 10 for general use either, but this is one case where the difference between the two OS versions is really quite clear.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000