New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uced

France
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  3:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've been using VA on VS2015 for a while and need to go to VS2017.
So i downloaded the installer.
First time, it proposed me to install for VS2017, but i got an error.
Then installation for VS2017 was grayed.
So i tried to install directly from VS2017 and i got (and still get) the same error i got in the first place.

The end of the log says something like (translating from french):

Installation Instance 8cb29f7d was found but not in a state allowing its launch.
Installation Error�: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot find setup engine instance.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.SetupEngineUtility.GetCurrentSetupInstance(IEngineHost engineHost)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineInstall(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean installPerMachine, Boolean isPackComponent, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, IProgress`1 progress, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion, IInstalledExtension& newExtension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, InstallFlags installFlags, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, AsyncOperation asyncOp, IProgress`1 progress, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

Does that speak to anyone ?

Thanks
Cedric

uced

France
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  3:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, i got it working, it's a bit convoluted but here's the story.

At every trial i could see a very fast screen (like 1/2 second) telling me something.
After some fast screen capture, i could read and it was telling that an instance of VS was already running and proposed a button to kill every instance and loose everyhing not saved yet.
I couldn't find any VS instance and anyway got the same message after a reboot.
So i made a few trial to catch the button fast enough, which i managed after some time.
Then VA installed correctly.
After the first VS relaunch, it told me that a new build was available.
So i had to rerun the downloaded VA installer, which, fortunately this time, allowed the 2017 installation, which went well.

No need to say i understood nothing but it seems to be installed and working on 2017, so i guess all is well.

Cheers
Cedric

Edited by - uced on Jul 27 2018 3:55:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  6:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the problems you had here, I am not sure what happened here.

When you say you did not see any sign of the IDE running, did you also look for "devenv.exe" processes in the background, via task manager? So hung processes with no visible window? These would be detected by the installer, even though they were not visible.

But even if this was the case, the reboot should have fixed this, and the message should have stayed visible long enough to read it and respond to it normally.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

uced

France
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2018 :  01:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

No worries, VA is great, no small install pb will change that.

No, i didn't know what to look for in the task manager, i just had a general look trying to spot keywords like visual or anything starting with a V. I certainly didn't look for devenv.exe so i can't tell whether it was there or not.
Anyway as you said, the reboot should have fixed it and didn't, quite strange.

The only really annoying thing was that the key popup windows was so fast to disappear. In case it helps, it was instantly replaced by the error windows allowing me to display the full log.

Cedric
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2018 :  06:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you know the name of the IDE process, it isn't really obvious. I have just checked what happens with an open, minimised instance of VS2017 open when running the VA_X_Setup2283_1.exe installer. No dialogs flash by for me, instead the installer is slowly re-trying to run the install, and telling me this, giving me plenty of time to realise what is happening and do something about it.

So no real clues there unfortunately. Hopefully this was a one off problem, but if it does come up again, we will try and pin down what is happening and going wrong.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000