Cannot install for VS 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  9:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have VA installed for VS 2015. I installed VS 2017. When I run the VA installer, the VS 2017 box is disabled. How can I install for VS 2017?

Steve

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2018 :  05:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version / edition of VS2017 have you installed?

What is the full name of the installer you are running?

Is VS2017 actually loading, so we know it is fully and successfully installed?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  4:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, VS 2017 loads successfully. The installer is your general release:

Build 2283
Release date: 2018.07.20
Version 10.9.2283.1

File name is "VA_X_Setup2283_1.exe"

Steve
Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  4:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS Info:

Steve
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2018 :  08:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to the properties on the shortcut for VS2017, what is the install path? For me, I have:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

it sounds like our installer does not realise VS2017 is installed, but I am not sure what would cause this to happen. Inside the IDE, can you please go to the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog, and see if you can download and install VA from the online extension store?

Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2018 :  4:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My path was the same.

Installing from VS worked - Thanks!

...wondering if the app checks the registry for installed versions, or does it try and figure it out some other way...

Steve
Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2018 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now my license will not work in 2017. Can I not use it for 2015 and 2017? We are transitioning gradually. Would it eat up 2 licenses, if so?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends where the check is failing. Our installer does some checks to work out which versions of the IDE are installed, so I am assuming this is where the problem lies. To check this assumption can you please download and run this file:

https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2283_1.vsix

there is no need to install it, I am just wondering if VS2017 is enabled or not on the first screen, where you are asked which IDE's to install for. If it is then the problem lies in our check, if not, then it lies somewhere else.

You can download older versions of VA from this page:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404

which will let you download a version of VA that is compatible with your current license. The problem is not the version of the IDE, it is the version of VA.

At the end of the first line of your license key there is a date. The license supports any version with a date earlier than or equal to this license date, but not a version with a later date. You should be able to run an unlicensed version in trial mode though, which is fully featured, at least for a few days.

One license covers as many instances of the IDE, and all the different versions of the IDE, on a single machine. So there is no problem at all with running both VS2015 and VS2017 on the same machine.

The only problem in all of this is working out why the installer does not recognise VS2017 on your system, so we can fix this.

Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, both options are there. So for now, you recommend that I install an older version?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

spujia_glidewell

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installing a previous version via the "Revert" option worked. There was one hiccup; an error popped up and then it had to "retry". I'm guessing it was because the trial expired dialog was still open in VS 2017. I closed both the dialog and exited VS. VS 2015 was also open (2 instances), and the install was fine for those. Just a heads-up.

I would be nice to take advantage of the latest release fixes...

Steve
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try downloading and running Process Monitor, from here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

When you first load the program it will start logging lots of activity, press Ctrl-E to stop the capture. Now use Ctrl-L to open the filter dialog. Add the following filter:

Process Name is VA_X_Setup2283_1.exe then Include

Press OK to accept this new filter.

Now press Ctrl-X to clear the current logs, and then Ctrl-E to turn capture back on, and then run the VA installer called "VA_X_Setup2283_1.exe". When the first screen comes up, showing you which IDE's VA can be installed for, please return to Process Monitor and press Ctrl-E to turn off capture, and save out the capture log.

Can you then please send me the capture log via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. Hopefully by comparing this with a log from one of my machines I can see what is different.

Another thought, do you have enough components of VS2017 installed to make a new C++ project of any sort? I am wondering if somehow VA thinks your install of VS2017 is so minimal that it does not count. It seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Go to Top of Page

Stub

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  03:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same problem with VA not detecting that VS2017 is installed. VA 2283 *was* working inside VS2017, even after I recently upgraded VS to the latest v15.7.5 release. But in trying to fix a frustrating VS Test Explorer problem I tried repairing VS2017. That appears to have reinstalled everything and my settings were reset. VA can no longer detect VS2017 - my previous VA installation appears to have disappeared entirely from VS.

VS2017 v15.7.5
VA 2283.1

Edited by - Stub on Jul 31 2018 03:46:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stub

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  04:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I tried installing VA from within VS2017. I thought I noted that the version of VA found by VS2017 was an older build but I continued anyway... yes, it was: 2270 rather than 2283.

That VS-based installation failed too:

...followed immediately by...

The log file reports the following error at the very end:

31/07/2018 09:01:58 - Beginning to install extension to Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017...
31/07/2018 09:01:58 - Found setup instance c9980c62 but not in launchable state.
31/07/2018 09:01:58 - Install Error : System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot find setup engine instance.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.SetupEngineUtility.GetCurrentSetupInstance(IEngineHost engineHost)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineInstall(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean installPerMachine, Boolean isPackComponent, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, IProgress`1 progress, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion, IInstalledExtension& newExtension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, InstallFlags installFlags, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, AsyncOperation asyncOp, IProgress`1 progress, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

I tried again, just in case, but the problem persists.

I'm not having a good day! Thanks, Visual Studio 2017!

Edited by - Stub on Jul 31 2018 04:11:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stub

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  04:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

It depends where the check is failing. Our installer does some checks to work out which versions of the IDE are installed, so I am assuming this is where the problem lies. To check this assumption can you please download and run this file:

https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2283_1.vsix

there is no need to install it, I am just wondering if VS2017 is enabled or not on the first screen, where you are asked which IDE's to install for. If it is then the problem lies in our check, if not, then it lies somewhere else.

So next I tried this VSIX, just to see what might happen. It spins for a while before reporting:

Which isn't a surprise since that's the version I do indeed have installed already.
Go to Top of Page

Stub

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've fixed it. I don't exactly know how, but as I type I have managed to get VA to install into VS2017 v15.7.5.

You want to find and run "vswhere.exe" from a command prompt. You'll probably find this tool in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\

If this reports nothing at all then that's highly indicative of a problem being able to locate VS on your system. It affects VA as we've described above, but in fact affects all VSIX extensions!

It should report on your VS installation and look something like this:

Mine said nothing after the first couple of header lines. After some fannying around I restarted my PC and as a last ditch check, ran it again. Suddenly it's now reporting my actual instanceID value. My eyes bulged and I tried a small VSIX I had been having trouble with. That worked. Then I tried the VA 2283_1 installer, and that now detects VS2017 and installed. I can now see a VAassistX menu item in my VS2017.

What did I do to fix it? I have no specific idea.

I realised that my VS2017 installation was also missing other extensions, so I tried installing the Productivity Power Tools 2017 and hit the exact same "Cannot find setup engine instance." error I mentioned above. So I knew it wasn't specifically a VA problem.

This led me to learning that part of the problem appears to be VS locating data within this directory:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\_Instances

A VS instance ID within this folder was present on my machine. You can apparently specify where to locate it in the registry. On my x64 OS a "CachePath" entry goes here:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\

This "CachePath" registry entry was not present on my machine. When I added it and tried a couple of paths (trying to figure out what exactly should go in here) I started seeing different error messages when installing a VSIX.

Eventually I gave up and removed the registry setting. I was about to UNinstall VS2017 when, on starting the VS2017 Installer application, it insisted that I needed to restart my machine. Doing that led to retrying vswhere.exe and realising that something I'd done had fixed the issue.

This sort of crap is why I truly despise updating software. My system was working fine with VS2017 v15.7.1. A colleague said he'd installed v15.7.5 fine. But that broke my Test Explorer, which I rely upon as much as VA. I've wasted hours on this now, and still have to restore all my missing extensions by the looks of it. Not a happy bunny with Microsoft right now.

Edited by - Stub on Jul 31 2018 07:26:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least some of this is the expected behaviour. If VA is already installed, and you simply run the VSIX installer for the same version of VA, then the machine will think for a few moments, and then report that "This extension is already installed for all applicable products."

Our .exe installer should still offer to install for VS2017 though.

The installer online being the previous version is also expected, we roll out the current version to the online store a little more slowly, to make sure that any early problems with the new build have been caught. In theory no problems will make it through testing, but, we all know how that goes

I have logs via email, checking those now, case=118056

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2018 :  08:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we are making progress. Can you please open regedit, and search from the registry root for this GUID:

{177F0C4A-1CD3-4DE7-A32C-71DBBB9FA36D}

is this found? If it is found it should hold a child "folder", and inside that should be the path for a Visual Studio setup dll. I suspect you won't find this value. If so, this seems to be the step that is failing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000