Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Frequent crashes in 15.8 preview 4 (Case 117871)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pjwhams

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  04:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS 15.8 preview 4
VisualAssist 10.9.2283

In the last week I updated VS from preview 3 to preview 4 and VA to the latest build. Since then I've been getting frequent crashes on various VA operations: rename, move to source, create implementation. I've found that the crashes happen more often if the file is modified before doing the operation.

Before I look any further for crash logs, etc, has anyone else experienced anything similar? I was previously using 15.8 preview 3 and the previous build of VA which were very stable. Now that I've updated both it's hard to tell which is causing the problem.

EDIT: I have a minidump and windbg analysis. Top of the stack is Microsoft_VisualStudio_Platform_VSEditor_ni+0x23751c but there's some va_x entries in there too. I can send these if they're useful.

Also reported here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/297329/frequent-crashes-with-visualassist-when-doing-refa.html

Edited by - pjwhams on Jul 20 2018 06:59:37 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  06:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please send us a mini dump, via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

If you have the time and want to try an experiment, you can easily download an older version of VA from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

so you can see if this is tied to the version of VA or the version of the IDE preview.

How often are you seeing this crash? Every few minutes? Every few hours? Every few days? I am wondering how easily this would be to reproduce here, I have this version of the preview installed, with VA 2283, so I can try and reproduce this here. Any advice on where to focus?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pjwhams

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  06:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have managed create a minimal repro case - I'll attach that in the form. This crash happens to me about once per hour.

Case 117871
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check if 'Tools | Options | Text Editor | General | Show structure guide lines' is on. If it is, turn it off. It is a known crashing bug introduced in preview 4.
Go to Top of Page

pjwhams

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  08:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  10:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad Sean knew where to look, since I was just about to reply saying that I have your files, but cannot reproduce the problem so far. Now we know why

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000