BSOD while parsing files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frittlebrew

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2018 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I recently set up a new machine with Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 3 and the latest VAX Build 2270. While parsing UE4 eventually I will get BSOD.

I've tried going back a few builds of VAX just to see if I can find a build that works but haven't had any success yet. I've tried downloading directly from your website and through the extension manager in VS.

Any help in this would be much appreciated. Thank you very much! :)

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2018 :  3:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BSOD is usually more like a hardware or driving related problem, or an overheating issue, in my experience.

Can you please try disabling the below setting and then rebuild your symbol databases?

untick
VA Options -> Performance -> Enable multithreaded parsing

and then press
VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild

and then restart Visual Studio to see if it makes any difference.
Go to Top of Page

Frittlebrew

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  01:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

It looks like that did the trick. Is there no way I can enable multithreaded parsing going forward? Anything else I can try?

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by accord

BSOD is usually more like a hardware or driving related problem, or an overheating issue, in my experience.

Can you please try disabling the below setting and then rebuild your symbol databases?

untick
VA Options -> Performance -> Enable multithreaded parsing

and then press
VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild

and then restart Visual Studio to see if it makes any difference.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on what triggered the problem. If it was "simply" down to a corrupt VA database, then turning this setting back on again will be fine. The problem with this theory is that we don't know what caused such a fatal corruption.

If it is a system load or overheating problem, then using this registry key should help, since you can limit the number of cores that VA will use for parsing, and this the CPU load:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W134

unfortunately you will have to find the maximum safe number by trial and error. Does your machine have enough ventilation? Have you tried a memory scanner, to check for any RAM problems?

Also have you checked for any driver or Windows updates that might be available?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  3:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, after you've rebuilt your symbol databases, maybe you can turn that setting of multicore parsing back on. However since you've installed different versions of VA, that should have triggered the rebuilt of databases as well. It worth a try I guess just to see where we are at with this problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000