VS2017: VA Step filter not working properly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonathansty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  05:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS2017 with VAX. I'm trying to create a step filter in the VA step filter view, but when stepping through the code the debug events stay blacked out and I don't have any way to interact with it. I can't create a filter, even after debugging these are disabled.

Any idea why this could be?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  08:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your current solution all C++, or are you working with a mixture of languages?

Can you please try creating a new, default C++ MFC project and see if VA Step Filter works correctly there?

Which version of VS2017 are you running? It shouldn't matter, but if you are using a pre-release version it could be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jonathansty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  04:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Is your current solution all C++, or are you working with a mixture of languages?

The solution is a generated makefile solution and contains only C++ code.

I've just tried it with a different solution (Vulkan Samples) generated by CMake and it seems to work fine. What exactly would not allow me to use the VA Step filter in my solution?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  06:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly I don't know, I have never seen this happen here in any of my tests. First a quick test, do you have:

VA Options -> Debug Assistance -> Save VA Step Filter solution filters to the same directory as the solution file

turned On or Off? I am wondering if write permissions in the directory could be a factor.

Would I be able to get a copy of your problem solution, or even just the SLN and VCXPROJ files to try and reproduce this here? I am guessing that somehow the project configuration is a factor, something about how the compiler is being called and the debug information that is being generated, but this is just a guess. If I can reproduce it here I can try changing settings until something changes.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  06:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add, to send me a test solution, or just a few test files, please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  08:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another user who is seeing a similar problem has just reported finding an invalid / no longer mapped network path, E drive, in the file path in their file:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\VisualAssist\DebuggerTools\global.vadbg

can you please have a look at your version of this file, and see if there are any invalid paths in it? I don't know if this is the problem or not, but it would help to explain what is going wrong.

Go to Top of Page

jonathansty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't provide access to the solution unfortunately. I'll try to see if I can reproduce this at home on any of my personal projects that use some more obscure project generators.

I've got the option " Save VA Step Filter solution filters to the same directory as the solution file" turned off.

The file you mentioned seems to look correct and does not have any paths in there at all. Just to clarify the debug event name's show up in black and there is only 1 greyed out checkbox on the left of each name.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  06:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The file paths was a theory, and obviously it does not help here.

As you step through code while debugging, and step into new functions, are the functions you are stepping into being added to the VA Step Filter window? This should be happening both in any test solution where the step filter works normally, and in your problem solution. I am starting to wonder if this is actually working for you though. If this is not working then it might be a clue of some sort.

Go to Top of Page

jonathansty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is what I see when I've got 2 functions Foo and Bar. Both blacked out and unable to interact with.

Good thing is that I am able to reproduce this with the project generation I use in my personal projects (premake5). For me what worked to repro this was set up a very basic project with a source file, define some functions in the source file and try using the step filter.

If you want I can send you the source so it's easier to reproduce?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sending in a sample project would be a good idea. You can use the contact page to send a zip: https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
Please reference TOPIC_ID=15230 in the subject.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  7:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the problem occur if you open a different solution before loading the solution you want to debug?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  8:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If closing the solution (but not VS) and then reloading it addresses the problem, I'm able to repro and have opened a bug report; case=117139.
Go to Top of Page

jonathansty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  03:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've submitted a sample solution for reproduction purposes. The problem always occurs in certain solutions regardless of opening a different one before or restart VS 2017.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  12:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is being continued via support email.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000