"Search on StackOverflow"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stephen Taylor

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be neat if there was a shortcut to open a webpage on SO and search whatever was selected under the cursor.

It could replace the utterly useless F1 functionality

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  12:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here I would be tempted to turn to your browser, and see if you can set up a keyboard shortcut to tell it to search Stack Overflow, and then paste in the selected code.

Personally I use Vivaldi (based on Chrome) these days, and it is easy to do there, via the Search Engine settings.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be good to have a configurable url too -- so that for example, you could do the search anywhere you want, not just hardcoded to SO. case=115503
Go to Top of Page

Stephen Taylor

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Here I would be tempted to turn to your browser, and see if you can set up a keyboard shortcut to tell it to search Stack Overflow, and then paste in the selected code.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it, but...

I have to:
copy selected text
find/raise/open browser
paste
search

Four button clicks that, admittedly, is not major, but is repetitively done day in, day out. Also requires switching between mouse & kb. F1 is the easiest key to find on the KB, (possibly except spacebar & esc) but its completely unused.

I would personally use the sh*t out of this feature. More so than a customizable search button on my mouse https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13942657/visual-studio-intercepting-f1-help-command

The other major point is that whenever I am searching SO, its almost guaranteed I'm searching something from VS (an error message, or something similar). Conversely, when I don't have VS open, it's relatively unlikely I'll be searching SO.

Perhaps a customizable search function would be better - so can set it to just search google.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  09:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware that the IDE has a built in web browser?

IDE View menu -> Other Windows -> Web Browser

set home page via:
Tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Web Browser -> Home page

Which will help to cut out a couple of steps here.

Another way to approach this is Source Links: https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W754
This is designed for things like bug numbers, but if you use a regular expression rule, with a simple tag like "SO:", you can have Source Links go active by just typing SO: before the text you want to search:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W754#regex

its not as simple as F1, but it does offer you control over what happens, and saves you having to copy / paste the text into the browser, and look for the search field, once you have set up the search URL.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000