Performance on VS2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nmiceliuribe

Mexico
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2018 :  4:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as the 15.6 update in vs2017 i read in the release notes: Many VS customers run extensions, which can impact performance. To help you troubleshoot performance issues, this update adds notifications for extensions that may be causing UI delays.

For the lastest version of VisualAssistX i keep getting messages about VisualAssist causing delays from 5 to 12 seconds when doing things like opening EDMX files or opening solutions. Is this behavior normal?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  11:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A delay associated with opening the solution is expected, since VA needs to scan the solution and work out which files it needs to parse. I don't recognise the EDMX file type though. What are these?

A quick search gets me here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc982042(v=vs.100).aspx

which view are you opening these files in? This page says there are two possible views for these files. VA should only be effecting these files if you have opened them in the XML editor, and then only if VA is active in the files.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

nmiceliuribe

Mexico
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  6:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDMX is the ADO.NET Entity Model file, and yes i tough that only code files should be affected, it happens every time i open certain file types including code files

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  12:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the screen shot. I get the basic version of the message bar, telling me that VA is slowing down the IDE, but it never lists a number of seconds for me, and 13 seconds of unresponsiveness is rather large!

Yet from your screen shot your solution only contains one project. This might make sense if you had a lot of projects, and VA had to scan across these, but I really don't expect this with a single project. Maybe it's a very large project.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I am currently following setup instructions from Microsoft to make a test ADO.NET project here.

Go to Top of Page

nmiceliuribe

Mexico
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  12:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

thank you for your support. My solution has 78 files

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was expecting a number in the many thousands, perhaps many tens of thousands! Not 78!

I had some problems getting SQL Server 2017 to install, but now it is installed will hopefully have a test solution up and running soon here.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the slow reply here, it turns out the sample project I was creating, following the directions I found, does not contain a .EDMX file, and it is proving rather tricky to find a ready made sample project that I can look at and test.

I have finally found this project which allows me to test the behaviour here:

https://github.com/latabi/edmxfile

the EDMX file it contains, when opened an an XML file in the editor, is only 610 lines long. What size is your .EDMX file? Now I have a working sample file, I should be able to extend this EDMX file to make it closer in the number of lines to your file.

This test may be to small, but so far I am not getting any sign of these messages from the IDE telling me that things are slow.

Go to Top of Page

nmiceliuribe

Mexico
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  3:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again and thanks for your support, my edmx file is 138 lines long.

If is worth mentioning, is not the only file or project or solution that causes the message to appear, but here it is.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<edmx:Edmx Version="3.0" xmlns:edmx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edmx">
  <!-- EF Runtime content -->
  <edmx:Runtime>
    <!-- SSDL content -->
    <edmx:StorageModels>
    <Schema Namespace="BasePREChiapasModel.Store" Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" ProviderManifestToken="2012" Alias="Self" xmlns:store="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/12/edm/EntityStoreSchemaGenerator" xmlns:customannotation="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2013/11/edm/customannotation" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edm/ssdl">
        <EntityType Name="Resultados">
          <Key>
            <PropertyRef Name="np" />
          </Key>
          <Property Name="np" Type="int" Nullable="false" />
          <Property Name="Tipo" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Cod" Type="int" />
          <Property Name="Entidad" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Repetidora" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Subsistema" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Nivel" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="CCT_11" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Nombre_CCT" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Municipio" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Localidad" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="Rango" Type="int" />
          <Property Name="MontoProgramado" Type="decimal" Precision="18" Scale="2" />
          <Property Name="DirectorNombre" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="DirectorApellidoPaterno" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="DirectorApellidoMaterno" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="DirectorRFC" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="DirectorCURP" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorZona" Type="int" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorCCTZona" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorSector" Type="int" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorNombre" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorApellidoMaterno" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorRFC" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorCURP" Type="nvarchar" MaxLength="1000" />
        </EntityType>
        <EntityContainer Name="BasePREChiapasModelStoreContainer">
          <EntitySet Name="Resultados" EntityType="Self.Resultados" Schema="dbo" store:Type="Tables" />
        </EntityContainer>
      </Schema></edmx:StorageModels>
    <!-- CSDL content -->
    <edmx:ConceptualModels>
      <Schema Namespace="BasePREChiapasModel" Alias="Self" annotation:UseStrongSpatialTypes="false" xmlns:annotation="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/02/edm/annotation" xmlns:customannotation="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2013/11/edm/customannotation" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edm">
        <EntityContainer Name="BasePREChiapasEntities" annotation:LazyLoadingEnabled="true" >
          <EntitySet Name="Resultados" EntityType="BasePREChiapasModel.Resultados" />
        </EntityContainer>
        <EntityType Name="Resultados">
          <Key>
            <PropertyRef Name="np" />
          </Key>
          <Property Name="np" Type="Int32" Nullable="false" />
          <Property Name="Tipo" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Cod" Type="Int32" />
          <Property Name="Entidad" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Repetidora" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Subsistema" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Nivel" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="CCT_11" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Nombre_CCT" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Municipio" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Localidad" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="Rango" Type="Int32" />
          <Property Name="MontoProgramado" Type="Decimal" Precision="18" Scale="2" />
          <Property Name="DirectorNombre" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="DirectorApellidoPaterno" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="DirectorApellidoMaterno" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="DirectorRFC" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="DirectorCURP" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorZona" Type="Int32" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorCCTZona" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorSector" Type="Int32" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorNombre" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorApellidoMaterno" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorRFC" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
          <Property Name="SupervisorCURP" Type="String" MaxLength="1000" FixedLength="false" Unicode="true" />
        </EntityType>
      </Schema>
    </edmx:ConceptualModels>
    <!-- C-S mapping content -->
    <edmx:Mappings>
      <Mapping Space="C-S" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/mapping/cs">
        <EntityContainerMapping StorageEntityContainer="BasePREChiapasModelStoreContainer" CdmEntityContainer="BasePREChiapasEntities" >
          <EntitySetMapping Name="Resultados">
            <EntityTypeMapping TypeName="BasePREChiapasModel.Resultados">
              <MappingFragment StoreEntitySet="Resultados">
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorCURP" ColumnName="SupervisorCURP" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorRFC" ColumnName="SupervisorRFC" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorApellidoMaterno" ColumnName="SupervisorApellidoMaterno" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorNombre" ColumnName="SupervisorNombre" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorSector" ColumnName="SupervisorSector" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorCCTZona" ColumnName="SupervisorCCTZona" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="SupervisorZona" ColumnName="SupervisorZona" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="DirectorCURP" ColumnName="DirectorCURP" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="DirectorRFC" ColumnName="DirectorRFC" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="DirectorApellidoMaterno" ColumnName="DirectorApellidoMaterno" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="DirectorApellidoPaterno" ColumnName="DirectorApellidoPaterno" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="DirectorNombre" ColumnName="DirectorNombre" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="MontoProgramado" ColumnName="MontoProgramado" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Rango" ColumnName="Rango" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Localidad" ColumnName="Localidad" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Municipio" ColumnName="Municipio" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Nombre_CCT" ColumnName="Nombre_CCT" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="CCT_11" ColumnName="CCT_11" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Nivel" ColumnName="Nivel" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Subsistema" ColumnName="Subsistema" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Repetidora" ColumnName="Repetidora" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Entidad" ColumnName="Entidad" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Cod" ColumnName="Cod" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="Tipo" ColumnName="Tipo" />
                <ScalarProperty Name="np" ColumnName="np" />
              </MappingFragment>
            </EntityTypeMapping>
          </EntitySetMapping>
        </EntityContainerMapping>
      </Mapping>
    </edmx:Mappings>
  </edmx:Runtime>
  <!-- EF Designer content (DO NOT EDIT MANUALLY BELOW HERE) -->
  <Designer xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2009/11/edmx">
    <Connection>
      <DesignerInfoPropertySet>
        <DesignerProperty Name="MetadataArtifactProcessing" Value="EmbedInOutputAssembly" />
      </DesignerInfoPropertySet>
    </Connection>
    <Options>
      <DesignerInfoPropertySet>
        <DesignerProperty Name="ValidateOnBuild" Value="true" />
        <DesignerProperty Name="EnablePluralization" Value="false" />
        <DesignerProperty Name="IncludeForeignKeysInModel" Value="true" />
        <DesignerProperty Name="UseLegacyProvider" Value="false" />
        <DesignerProperty Name="CodeGenerationStrategy" Value="None" />
      </DesignerInfoPropertySet>
    </Options>
    <!-- Diagram content (shape and connector positions) -->
    <Diagrams></Diagrams>
  </Designer>
</edmx:Edmx>
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  08:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your EDMX file, but so far I still cannot reproduce any of these slow down problems or error messages.

Can you please try downloading the zip version of the edmxfile solution from GitHub:

https://github.com/latabi/edmxfile

and then open the "Model1.edmx" file, and see if you get the same problem in this test solution?

If you can, then I know that somehow I am not close enough to your situation. Or if there is no problem, then the problem is somehow connected to something else in your main solution. Either way, we will learn something.

To make it easier to send me test files, if there are any files you are able to send me, please submit them via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000