Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Open file in solution taking longer than usual.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  10:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I use the Open file in solution feature, the window stalls at [loading...] for 3-5 seconds before listing the files. If I press escape during this time, it interrupts loading of external files (I think?) and files show up right away.

1. Is there a way to never load external files by default so I don't have to push ESC each time I use this window?

2. What could cause this huge delay? It's only been happening as of recently. Few noteworthy things that have changed are my OS (now on windows 10) and possibly project properties due to an upgrade of some core tech we are using.

Thanks for the help!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  12:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please show the Open File dialog, let it finish loading, and now right click into the list of files.

Do you have "Include all files in solution directories" turned On or Off? If this is turned On, can you please try turning this Off, and see if this has any effect? This can be a very helpful setting, and can be toggled on with a keyboard shortcut, but if you have a lot of directories and don't want it, it can cause a significant slow down in populating the list of files.

If this isn't it, which IDE and version of VA are you using?

When the dialog has finished loading, what is the second number in the title bar? This is the total number of files that the dialog is listing, and will give me some sense of scale here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  12:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Include all files in solution directories" is off and producing this behavior.
I'm suing VS2015 and VA version is
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2238.2 built 2017.11.10
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.15063.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 15063
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0xc0c

Second number in the title bar is: 59631
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  2:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that's a lot of files, but still does not explain this slowdown. Do you have "Show only files in the current solution" turned On or Off, and does changing this have any effect on this?

Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  3:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this option supposed to be in the context menu when right clicking in the open file dialog? I don't see it.
Options are:
Include solution files
Include PrivateSystem files (checked)
Include Shared system files (checked)
Include external files (checked)
Include open files
Combine duplicate file entries (checked)
Match case if search string contains uppercase letter
Tooltips (checked)
Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unchecking 'Include shared system files' seems to have removed the latency of bringing the file list up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  4:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sort of solution are you working in? I am not seeing some of these entries in my mostly C++ solution.

Also, just to double check, this is in VA's Open File in Solution dialog, which I am opening via the keyboard shortcut Alt-Shift-O?

I am wondering where the "include shared system files" entry is coming from, since I am not seeing this here, and wonder if it is down to the solution type.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  5:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the checkbox for "Show only files in the current solution" is unchecked, the context menu has more filtering command/settings.

Build 2248 improved performance for Ctrl+D (include all files in solution directories) that might also address the latency you are experiencing when "Show only..." is unchecked and "Include shared system files" is checked (case=111851).

Edited by - sean on Jan 29 2018 5:22:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  08:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to toggle 'Show only files in the current solution' to test but I can't see it. Is it only part of the newer version?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the confusion, the "Show only files in the current solution" checkbox is not part of the right click menu. This check box is at the bottom of the dialog, below the filter field, and is always visible. This should greatly reduce the number of files showing in the dialog, and hopefully remove this delay as well.

Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, checking 'Show only files in the current solution' fixes the issue. I'll keep that checked for now, thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest how many files are now being listed in the Open File in Solution dialog? I am wondering if it was just the number of files, or something else at work that caused this slowdown for you.

Go to Top of Page

mac_twist

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
49321... a bit less but still significant.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  10:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought I was testing a large solution with a mere 25,000 files inside the solution. I will make a larger solution, and see if I can reproduce this problem here, now I know what the trigger seems to be.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2018 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the number of files in the solution, on its own, is not a trigger. With VS2015 and VA 2248 I have now set up a slightly larger test case, 94,432 files in the solution. There is a slight delay before the Open File dialog first appears, but once it appears the file list is populated in under a second. This is with "Show only files in the current solution" turned On.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000