Technical Support
 VS input lock out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrPandalot

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  11:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this issue happen very rarely and was always unable to repro or pinpoint the cause, but it always involved VA in some way.

Well until today, although it may take some experimentation to get it right.

Repro:
1- Debug your program
2- open a VA dialog box ( alt+shift+o works well )
3- prepare to type in
4- Have an assert pop-up during VA Dialog Box
5- Notice the interface becoming unresponsive

A fix suggestion for this time-consuming issue:
Kill the VA Dialog Box on any assert or change of Modal window

I apologize for the hastiness this was written, but hope it will give someone in the team an idea.

My work env : Win7 - VS2012

Thank you for your great product.

Dave Lynch

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  3:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What assert message are you seeing? Does it have any details, that might help us work out where it is coming from, and why this is happening?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

DrPandalot

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  3:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pointing out, I should have made it more obvious in my post.
The assert content is from my own app, it is irrelevant.
What is relevant *it seems* is the loss of focus while a VA modal window is open. That VA window will never recover primary focus and VS becomes unresponsive.

Hope this clears it up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  08:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say "assert", what exactly do you mean? I have a simple test here, my program pauses while running, giving me plenty of time to return to the IDE and show VA's Open File dialog. With this dialog open, the program then triggers the C++ line:

assert(false);

which shows the standard Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error message, asking me how I want to handle this assert. I have no problems moving between the assert message and the VA Open File dialog.

I am testing with VS2012, VA 2248, running on Windows 7.

Go to Top of Page

DrPandalot

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you reply. I am also on V2248.
I had a facepalm moment, I overlooked the fact that we have our own assert code path. I will try to dig in a little bit more (with our core team) and see what causes VAssist to stop responding.

Until then, you can close this issue.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  3:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. It's certainly possible VA is still a factor, but more details of what is going wrong, and how to trigger the problem would be helpful.

Go to Top of Page

RuiFig_Epic

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was searching the forum for similar problems to the one I'm having and found this thread.
Feline, seems like this is still in VAX, and depending on the workflow it can be VERY annoying.

What DrPandalot meant was while we have a modal VAX open (e.g: Shift+Alt+O), if VS does some kind of focus change in the background, now VS is completely unresponsive and we need to kill it.
In my case that happens very often because of another extension I'm using that keeps running in the background and switches/cleans the "Output Window".

Repro steps:
* Install the UnrealVS extension (https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/ProductionPipelines/DevelopmentSetup/VisualStudioSetup/UnrealVS/)
* Open a solution that has more than one project or configuration
* Use the "Batch Builder" utility that UnrealVS provides, and start building a bunch of projects and/or configurations.
* Straight away open a modal VAX window (Shift+Alt+o) and wait.

As soon as UnrealVS's Batch Builder finishes building an entry, everything will block and you need to kill VS.
I suspect its focus related, because I do also have this problem with other scenarios that don't involve UnrealVS.

For my workflow this bug is particularly annoying because I tend to use the Batch Builder to queue up a bunch of builds to see if there are any compile errors across platforms, and then go on to investigate/navigate more code while I wait for the builds to finish.
And of course I ALWAYS forget VS will freeze if I open VAX. :(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the clear instructions. So far I cannot reproduce this though, so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not.

I am working on Windows 10, with VS2022, VA 2476. I am working with a very simple, basically default UE 5.1 game project. I have located and installed the UnrealVS installer inside the UE 5.1 directory and installed it.

After showing the UnrealVS toolbar I found the batch build button, and got the dialog set up like this:

here VA's Open File dialog is open behind the batch build window, but I tried building with the Open File dialog in front as well.

So far no sign of this hang.

Am I doing this correctly?

If I am can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem with your settings.

Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

RuiFig_Epic

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  1:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, it seems it depends if the BatchBuilder window is docked AND separate from "Output Window".
If BatchBuilder is docked but in the same tab group as "OutputWindow", then when a build finished, focus will change to the OutputWindow, hiding BatchBuilder and doesn't freeze.

Try the following:

* Dock Batch Builder BUT separate from Output, so that when a build finishes both the Output and Batch Builder are visible.
* Batch up a few builds and start building.
* Hit Shift+Alt+o to open VAX

I'll try to upload pictures. Trying to figure out how to do that. :)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To upload pictures, use the "Reply to Topic" link, rather than the quick reply field. When you do so there is a toolbar above the edit field. On the toolbar, the button after the button labelled "HR" lets you upload a picture to your post.

Go to Top of Page

RuiFig_Epic

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2023 :  5:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I've recorded a short video.
Funny that now that I'm trying to actually nail down the exact circumstances, it's harder. :)
Daily, it happens several times while I'm working.
But seems like I nailed the repro steps. At least the last 5 times or so I tried the steps explained in the video, it froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhfjAJAlZg
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2023 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the details about the required window layout, it is disturbingly easy to reproduce with these details:

case=149442

At least knowing this is the trigger, you can change your window layout to work around this for now. Not an ideal answer, but at least it is a simple work around.

Also no problems with opening up an old forum thread, this happens when the same problem comes up again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000