Brace/Structure Matching Vertical Lines Color
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BRebey

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  2:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded from Visual Studio 2015 to 2017, and installed the current version of VA.

Now I get vertical dotted lines in my C# source code to show matching braces. This is a nice feature, but the color is far too bright and it's in the way. I'd like to change the color.

I don't know if Studio or VA provides this feature, nor do I know if VA or Studio colorize it. I've poked around in the color configuration, but I can't see anything that sounds like it's for this feature.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to change the color of this feature, either via VA or Studio.

Attached is an image of what I'm talking about:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  3:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These lines are coming from the IDE, it's not something VA is doing. You can turn them off with the setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> Advanced -> Show guides for declaration level constructs

unfortunately I have not been able to work out how to change the colour of these lines, I am not seeing anything in the VA options font and colour settings that effect them.

You might want to try turning off the IDE feature, and look for an extension that will do this, but allow you to control the colour of the lines.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BRebey

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  09:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. That's what I suspected, but was hoping for a better answer. It would be a really neat and useful feature if the lines weren't so obnoxiously bright, and I'd hoped that VA could come to my rescue.

I you or anyone else ever comes up with a way to do change these colors, I'd love an update.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2017 :  09:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an extension that "could come to your rescue":
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SteveDowerMSFT.IndentGuides

I'm using this and it works well for me in C++. It also supports C#.

You can set the colors, the line style, and a lot more. Certainly, you would need to disable the IDE variant so you don't get duplicate lines

There is one caveat, quoting from the page:
quote:

The extension works fine, but you'll be prompted that it may cause instability. This is incorrect for Indent Guides. (To suppress the warning I either have to drop support for previous versions of VS or completely restructure the project. The warning appears because the extension does not declare VS 2017-specific dependencies, however, all Indent Guides dependencies should always be present.)

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000