VA Intellisense issues after debug in multi-window
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Towkin

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2017 :  07:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue was found in Visual Studio 2015 Community.

When using a multi-window layout in Visual Studio, Visual Assist's Intellisense stops working after running a debug session when you have the non-main window selected. I have VS default Intellisense disabled ('Options->Text Editor->C/C++->Advanced->Disable Intellisense' set to 'True') and rely on VA's Intellisense for productivity. My VS layout should be attached at the end of this message.

To replicate:

• Setup Visual Studio to use multiple windows, and disable VS's Intellisense.

• Open a text editor in the main window, and one in another window.

• Close and reopen Visual Studio and the solution.

• Select the text editor in the non-main window (i.e, the one without the toolbar).

• Start a standard debug session using the local debugger.

• Once the session is over, VA's Intellisense will not work in either text editor, until manually restarted.

A short demonstration can be found here: https://gfycat.com/AlarmingJadedChamois

This is a minor issue, and does not impede my workflow to any larger extent, but is a source of annoyance.

I have a suspicion this has to do with the fact that VS restarts the window when you enter a debug session, and that this somehow interrupts Intellisense, but doesn't restart it properly once re-entering edit mode.

EDIT: My VS layout was never properly attached, but here's an image of it: https://i.imgur.com/NABInjt.png

Edited by - Towkin on Sep 15 2017 07:54:24 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  11:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I don't remember trying the Window -> Float command before. Thank you for the clear description, I am seeing the same effect here:

case=111151

For me, to re-enable VA, all you need to do is open the VA options dialog and then Cancel / Escape it, which is faster, which is something.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Towkin

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Interesting, I don't remember trying the Window -> Float command before. Thank you for the clear description, I am seeing the same effect here:

case=111151

For me, to re-enable VA, all you need to do is open the VA options dialog and then Cancel / Escape it, which is faster, which is something.

Great to hear, thank you for your response!

I... honestly don't know why I never tried to skip the uncheck -> check part, always thought that was the only way to restart it. Well, even less of an annoyance for now, until it's fixed :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  06:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes when things get a little "confused" opening and closing the VA options dialog is all you need, and it turns out this is one of those times. But not something you would normally think to try, to be fair.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000