[DOT] cannot be typed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2017 :  11:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using vs2015 and VA VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2212.0 built 2017.03.23

I'm debugging some boost code and was trying to modify a header.

c:\boost_1_56_0\include\boost/test/impl/framework.ipp

I need to replace "tc_timer.elapsed() * 1e6" with "tc_timer.elapsed().wall / 1000"

No matter what I try, I absolutely cannot type "." character and I'm confident this happens because of visual assist. When I type "." I get drop down list of members and dot itself is swallowed. I can do that in any place of the file no matter what I do, dot cannot be typed, I can type regular text, but not the dot character. When I disable VA it works. I restarted VS and still get that problem with VA enabled. I've seen similar glitches from VA where I simply had to turn it off completely to stop messing with me. This kind of stuff is not acceptable when it prevents you from simple typing.

The other point I find it's totally unacceptable that I cannot type code as-is with VA sometimes. I cannot describe exact case, but sometimes I end with extra closing ")" at the end because VA added it and didn't match it with closing brace that I added manually.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded Boost 1.56.0, and unpacked the .7z file.

Then I have dragged and dropped "framework.ipp" into VS2015, with VA 2212 installed, and a solution already open. I am finding the line you are editing on line 158 of the file. Typing a dot works perfectly for me every time.

Do you have Boost as part of your solution?
Is it in one of your VA stable include directories?

Do you have:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned On or Off? If this is turned On, can you please try turning it Off, and see if this makes any difference?

VA should not stop you typing a dot, but it is possible, in a few odd situations for this bug to occur.

For the closing bracket, I am not quite following what you are seeing. VA does try to track when you type opening brackets, and enter the matching closing brackets correctly. Are you entering strings, or anything else that might result in unmatched brackets being typed into the line? Deleting brackets perhaps, so VA inserts the closing round bracket, then you delete the opening bracket later, leaving the closing bracket VA inserted still present?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  4:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" is off, I didn't change it. We have boost.test as separate project that includes a few .cpp files from boost.test, but that framework.ipp file isn't referenced in that project file. By the way, now I can type "." in that file. Maybe when I tried to type dot was when I was debugging in the middle of debugging and had a breakpoint in that file. When i had that problem I actually tried to restart VS and tried to enable-disable VA and it was clearly present only when VA was enabled.

The other thing that I mentioned: when I type "#include <vector>[ENTER]" I end up with two closing ">>". Surprisingly I get it only in some files. If I create default empty console project then I get that double closing >> at the end. If I disabled VA then I don't see that problem (and default VS2015 adds closing '>' but if I type it manually it removed second one).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what happened with not being able to type a dot. One possible trigger is the "Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" setting. Another, rarer possibility, is *very* complex C++ template code that confuses VA's parser. Neither seems to be a good fit for what you are seeing here.

If the problem comes back again, it would be useful to get any further details you can give me to help reproduce this effect.

For typing the #include line, I take it you are not using any VA snippets. But are you accepting any listboxes as you type?

The fact that this behaviour is file or solution specific is rather odd, but it is useful you can reproduce it in default project.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

along with the new default project you are using, since then I will be testing the same solution, same file, and same settings. I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem, which will let me try to make sense of this.

Go to Top of Page

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another point, I've seen that happen a few time and now I get that problem again on one of PCs. When I type "for" I get "fr" only. I need to type slower not to loose "o" in the middle. If I disable VA plugin the error clearly disappears. I've seen that exact error before and I had to restart VS to get it fixed. Now even if I restart still get it.

> For typing the #include line, I take it you are not using any VA snippets

As I said, I simply type exact stuff as I want (as if I was using plain notepad) and very often VA changes correct code into something broken.

How do I send you my VA environment settings?
Go to Top of Page

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding dot in framework.ipp : I just retried it again and now I do not have that error anymore. That's exactly what I get: sometimes I get weird stuff, and disabling VA fixes it. And then the problem randomly disappears. Just to make it clear it's not isolated some specific PC, I get similar quirks with VA with completely different setup in my personal PC at home (where I get that "for" -> "fr" error now). I've seen this exact issue on my work PC couple of month ago.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  06:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for all of these problems, you should not be getting problems like this.

For you VA and IDE settings, you can export your VA settings via the button:

this will produce a dialog telling you where the .reg file has been saved out.

For your IDE settings, you can save them out via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

this shows you a dialog allowing you to select the name and location of the saved settings file.

I am not sure why the problems should be random either. This suggests that something is triggering the problem, and once the problem state is entered, VA stays there until you do an IDE restart. But off the top of my head, I don't have any idea as to what might be going on here.

The fact that you are getting similar problems on two different machines, and two different setups is a concern. Are you working on the same solution when this happens, or different solutions? I am looking for any clues as to common factors that might point me in the right direction.

Go to Top of Page

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  2:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is "How do I -> send <-- you my VA environment settings?" not how to get them.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug in VA (or something in VS itself that triggers that behavior). At work I have a large solution, at home when I saw last that problem I opened VS blank c++ console project to try something quickly and I wasn't able to type "for" loop. Simply disabling VA right away fixes it. When I had that I tried to restart VS and enable VA and I was getting the same behavior right there, it was 100% reproducible. Couple of days later when I got fed up with these quirks and decided to post here I tried that again at home, and... I don't see the problem anymore. FYI, In general I do not install any extensions except VA. When I install VA the only thing that I always do: I check ALL check boxes in "Coloring and Attributes" in VA options. I do not change anything else.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  3:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies, for sending the settings please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

You are describing a very simple and normal working environment, so I am really not sure what would be going wrong here to cause problems. Do you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, it might be worth turning this On, and leaving it On. I have sometimes seen mixed line endings trigger some odd problems, but nothing that really matches what you are seeing.

Are you using the same / similar anti-virus both at work and at home?

Go to Top of Page

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  4:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "Check for consistent line endings on load" at ON, I always have it, I've never turned that off. With the "for" problem it looks this way: when I type "for" instead of showing "for" it shows dropdown with suggestions after "f" and "o" gets lost. When I type "for" right now, there is drop down with suggestions but everything works. I'm pretty sure that when I had that problem at home resulting "fr" was shown in bold.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  12:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember if you were typing "very quickly" when this happened? I know this is a very vague question, but I am searching for a possible reason why letters you are typing are not going into the editor, as they should.

Another thought, next time you get this problem, can you try making sure that no other open files are shown as modified - there is a * at the end of the filename, and then reproduce the problem. Are any of the other files now marked as modified? I have very occasionally seen some characters being sent to the wrong file, but not normally letters. But when this is happening, the other file is being shown as modified.

Go to Top of Page

somgui

3 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  06:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a video recording of the same problem. When I was typing "int" it would show "it". After turning off visual assist problem disappears, when I re-enable visual assist there is no problem. Video is uploaded. Note that when the problem happens suggestion list is different than when there is no problem.
Go to Top of Page

somgui

3 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  06:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More over, I get sometimes totally weird behavior when I cannot even type a character on an empty line. I updated another video where I type that same `int` or anything else and second character is completely ignored. I type at 1 char per second rate, has nothing to do with typing speed. Make sure you watch it with loud sound, so you could hear keyboard clicks and see how input is totally lost when VA is enabled.

Note, that I tried to rebuild and clear database in va options. I installed latest va just now, and I deleted all visual studio temporary files (like vc.db .vs etc). I still got this problem. Surprisingly I don't need to disable VA to fix it, simply clicking VA menu fixes it as seen in my last video upload. Clicking any other menu does not fix, as seen in the video

Edited by - somgui on May 15 2017 07:01:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  09:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the videos, many thanks for these. This is deeply bizarre, as you say.

Looking at the videos, in all 4 videos, you are typing on the last line in the file. Do you see problems further up the file, or does the problem only happen at the very end of the file? You should be able to type at the end of the file just fine, but it is an interesting pattern.

Since you are seeing this in such a small and simple test solution, would you be able to send me both a copy of the test solution, and also your IDE and VA settings. I can then try the same solution and settings here, and see if I can reproduce any of this.

To export your settings, please use:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000