Technical Support
 Refactor->Rename very old bug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noamshor

4 Posts

Posted - May 30 2016 :  01:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an old bug when renaming (Shift+Alt+R)

Renaming is working fine, but...
Afterward there is a strange behavior.
1) The right alt key doesn't work. The left one does.
2) On remote session with Team Viewer many things doesn't work: Can't enter ";" at the end of a sentence. The key "(" produces ")" and some other very annoying behaviors.
It sounds fantastic but it's real!

I learned how to go around it -
The next rename fixes all.
The third rename reproduces the problem
And so on... (Toggling on and off)

Happened on current version(2098?), on 2052 and before.

Thanks for listening
Noam Shor.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 30 2016 :  04:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you ever work with VA locally, or only ever remotely via Team Viewer? I am wondering if these problems show up when working locally as well, or if they are somehow specific to Team Viewer.

Which IDE are you using?

Which OS are you connecting from, and which OS are you connecting to?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

noamshor

4 Posts

Posted - May 30 2016 :  11:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently working with remote desktop.
With window's Remote Desktop only the right alt didn't work -
Which caused me to buy a new (ergonomic) keyboard until I found the cause of it :)

I'm working with windows 7 on both sides.
Because of different project I'm alternating between IDEs, So I use vs2010 vs2013 and vs2015.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  1:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a stupid question, but when it is working, what does the Right Alt key do?

On a United Kingdom keyboard, the only thing I can make the Alt Gr key do is enter a couple of extra characters, it does not give me keyboard access to the menu bar, like the left Alt key does. I have checked a couple of different machines, both using a United Kingdom keyboard, and am seeing the same behaviour.

Go to Top of Page

noamshor

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  04:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that may be a problem.

Maybe you will have better luck with Team Viewer. There the ";" is not working (so I used to copy+paste it from other lines);;;;;;;;;;;

I didn't check the behavior locally since all the team work here is done on a headless (no monitor or keyboard) industrial machines.

This won't help you if you got a different set of keyboard but:

The right alt is acting the same as the left one (Access to the menu bar)
I use it one handedly as a combination with the Enter key in image processing software (Matrox Inspector), and in the notorious Total Commander (Alt + Arrow Down)

Go to Top of Page

noamshor

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  06:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I managed to check it locally and all is fine.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now tested Team Viewer, connecting from a Windows 7 machine to a Windows 7 machine. On the machine I connected to I loaded VS2015, VA 2098, and then renamed three local variables, using Alt-Shift-R to trigger the rename dialog in each case.

I tried typing a ; before the rename, and after each successful rename, and typing ; always works. This is in C++ code, working in a cpp file, with Team Viewer 11.0.59518 on both sides.

Is this a valid test? Would you expect to see me get the problem doing this?

I have also tested a laptop with a US layout keyboard and Windows 10 installed. On this laptop the right Alt key, the Alt Gr key, works the same way as the left Alt key, which was an interesting discovery and experience. When I then used remote desktop to connect to a machine with a UK keyboard, the right alt key stopped opening the menu, so I wasn't able to test things like that.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  8:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the right alt key seems to be related to a US keyboard layout I have set a Windows 7 machine to use a US keyboard, and then deleted the UK keyboard. I rebooted to make sure this had taken effect.

Now working locally, in VS2015 with VA 2098, sitting in a C++ cpp file, I used Alt-Shift-R to rename three local variables. Before starting, and after each rename I checked that the right alt key, Alt Gr, allowed me to open the IDE menu, and it kept working all the way through.

Am I testing the right thing here? Should I be seeing the problem? From your initial description it sounds like I should be seeing this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000