I want it to be:

#include <string>

Why is it auto-completing with ".h"?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a listbox showing when you type the ">" ?

Testing this here, if I have a listbox of include files, and "string.h" is highlighted, then this is accepted and inserted when I type the ">". But if I make sure there is no listbox showing, then nothing is added, and I end up with just:

#include <string>

which is what I typed.

If the listbox should select "string" or "string.h" here by default is an interesting question, but first I want to know if we are even seeing the same things.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right that the popup does appear:

However, for an *exact match* I expect no suggestion to be used. It should accept the exact match in the list box (in this case, "string").
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a setting which makes suggestion lists close on exact match:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W357

This setting also applies to include listboxes - I created a new console project, typed string and the include listbox closed automatically.
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this. 2 things:

1. You might consider updating that help page to mention that Visual Studio should be closed *before* changing that registry value. Otherwise, closing VS afterwards will cause Visual Assist to overwrite that setting again.

2. This DESPERATELY needs a GUI option. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to setup a new check box in the WinForms designer.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  7:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad this has helped. For point 1, I have just updated this page, to mention this.

For point 2, we do keep an eye on which extra settings people are most interested in, to help us decide which ones to add to the options dialog. We are trying to keep our options dialog fairly compact, so as not to "loose" options. It's a balancing act, we need enough options visible to be helpful, but not so many that people are put off from looking at them.

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Thank you for the update, I am glad this has helped. For point 1, I have just updated this page, to mention this.

For point 2, we do keep an eye on which extra settings people are most interested in, to help us decide which ones to add to the options dialog. We are trying to keep our options dialog fairly compact, so as not to "loose" options. It's a balancing act, we need enough options visible to be helpful, but not so many that people are put off from looking at them.

I understand but if I recall correctly, this particular setting has been supported for a couple of years now.

Again with very little effort, you could have a sort of "Enable Advanced Settings" button somewhere that opens up new pages full of options that currently are registry toggles. This is a win-win for everyone: By default, those settings are hidden from people that don't care about them. However, advanced users can choose to show those settings without having to edit registry values.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  1:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're considering to add more settings or create an advanced page where all our supported registry keys would be listed and be easily editable. Maybe something like a scrollable list. But we're still in the considering / planning phase so nothing is sure about that yet.

For now, you can check our documentation where relevant registry settings are mentioned. For example, we list all registry entries for suggestions at the bottom of its documentation page:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W166

I know it's not the same what you ask, I just trying to list our current ways to help users. In the past we had a page with all settings:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W254
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want the current list of all the registry key settings, you can look here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?ixWiki=8&pg=pgSearchWiki&qWiki=tag:%22registry%22

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000