New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

plc

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We dont use a solution for our product, we have an external build process to build the product. What functionality from Visual Assist is available to me. There are in excess of 1000 files, in the product I work on so I dont think creating solution is a viable option.

Thanks

Paul

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  12:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a first step, if you turn On the option:

VA Options -> Projects and Files -> Upon opening a file, parse all other unparsed files in the same directory:
if Solution is empty

then VA will parse files, one directory at a time, as you open the files to work on them. This should work fairly well if your code is only in a couple of different directories, but if your code is spread across multiple directories, then this may not work so well.

If your selection of code files is fairly stable, in VS2010 and above there is the IDE command:

IDE File menu -> New -> Project From Existing Code...

which should help.

Alternatively, I have written a VB Script file that recurses across a directory tree, and generates a VS2010, VS2012 or VS2013 project, holding all of the code files found. The project won't compile, but it will allow VA to find and thus parse all of your code files. You are welcome to a copy, and I can update it for VS2015 if that is the IDE you are using. Please note this file is unsupported, but works well enough to be useful.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

plc

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  05:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes the VBScript sounds like it would work well for me. Please can I have a copy. Both VS2013 & VS2015 as we use both on different projects.

Thanks

Paul
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  2:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is one more option now. Although it is more probably applicable for the future since the product is still in a pre-beta phase, but there is new feature in VS15 Preview 2:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/04/12/open-any-folder-with-visual-studio-15-preview/

I'm party mentioning this as an interesting factoid. This is the feature that you will need and Visual Assist already supports VS15 Preview 2 and also, we already support the Open folder feature, located in the "File" menu so we're parsing the files.

Microsoft don't recommend it for productivity use, but if you only use Visual Studio to browse your source, you might want to use or just try this if you have the time.
Since it is an early version, Visual Studio or Visual Assist might not work as expected, but we're open to feedback.

Our current best supported way for your scenario for VS2015 and earlier is the already mentioned option by Feline:
VA Options -> Projects and Files -> Upon opening a file, parse all other unparsed files in the same directory:
[x] if Solution is empty

Edited by - accord on May 19 2016 2:04:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 19 2016 :  10:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have emailed you a copy of the script, hopefully this will prove useful, if your code is to scattered across directories to make the parse all files in the same directory setting unhelpful.

Go to Top of Page

plc

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  04:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I had the dont allow forum members to email me profile option switched off so I didnt recieve your email. Can you please try sending it again.

Thanks

Paul
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forum setting should not have mattered, I emailed you directly, to the email you used when registering with the forum. I have just re-sent the email, hopefully it will reach you this time.

If not, can you try contacting me via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000