Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billw2011

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2016 :  3:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS 2015 Community with Update 2.
VA 10.9.2089.

10 or so Android projects.

After a while performance degrades such that opening a file, starting a statement and other operations cause multi second freezes. Restart fixes it for a while.

billw2011

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  1:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some useful part of the log:

-PooledThread: ParseThrdFn-Async-VAParseMPUnderline
PooledThreadProc VAX:ParseThrdFn-Async-VAParseMPUnderline exit tid 0x3900 in 0 ticks
EdTmr:102
(1187 t)
VaEventUE OnLButtonUp key=0x0
(5625 t)
EdTmr:609
(500 t)
EdSFo: 00000000
(3125 t)
+PooledThread: CheckResUpdate

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you actually using VS2015 Update 2? I believe that update 2 is still in beta, so I am just checking you have this installed.

Which programming language are you working in?

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

If you run a CPU monitor, are you seeing CPU usage spikes when you get the IDE pausing like this?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

billw2011

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I am using Update 2 RC.
Language C++ Android NDK.
520 files listed.

I found a reproducible result:
Undocking a source tab so I have two visible at the same time (often have two docked vertically). As soon as I drag to undock the freeze occurs (most of the time not always) and stops my drag, and the window is left floating.

Regarding CPU usage:
When the freeze occurs it actually locks my entire machine for the duration of the freeze (video continues playing, nothing is interactive), including the updates to Process Explorer UI so I can't see the CPU usage changes! However the graph appears to show Devenv spiking during the freeze when I look at it after.

So even more weirdness I notice now:
I closed a Chrome window that was streaming (MLG website) to get clearer graphs in Process Explorer, and now the freezing problem seems to be gone. Can't imagine what the connection between streaming on Chrome and Visual Assist would be. I have 16GB memory, i7 processor, SSD HD, so I don't think it is any normal resource contention or paging.
After starting streaming again it is fine initially, however after 10 minutes or so it is starting to noticeably freeze occasionally again.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I had forgotten you could drag a tab around like that.

Like you, I have no idea what the connection between streaming video in Chrome and the IDE freezing is. I can see the streaming using a fair bit of network bandwidth, for a high quality stream, but even if this was maxed out, I don't see how the IDE should care. The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is screen updates, something related to your video card or video driver, but that's just a guess.

Which OS are you using?

I am not seeing any problems dragging a single tab around in VS2015 Professional Update 1, VA 2094, Windows 7 64bit. But I don't have Chrome on this test machine, and it certainly isn't streaming.

If you can reproduce this problem on demand, and it sounds like you can, can you please try:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and see if this has any effect. This will turn off VA's syntax highlighting, and other highlighting in the editor, so if this is somehow "display" related, this may have an effect. I am looking for evidence VA is actually a trigger here. It's possible its Chrome and the IDE, and will happen even without VA.

Go to Top of Page

billw

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  1:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Disable Visual Assist X did help I already tried it before. It was 100% reproducible, i.e. disabling it always stopped the problem.
Regarding screen updates, it sounds likely I do notice that at the end of the freeze I get some sort of flickering like a bunch of controls got invalidated, they go white for a tiny fraction of a second.
OS is Win 10 Pro with all updates.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the slow reply. I have now tested this here, and so far I cannot reproduce any slow down while streaming a video from MLG in Chrome while dragging tabs around in VS2015 Update 2.

I am testing with the release version of Update 2, so I have VS2015 version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2, and VA 2094.

Does the video or resolution of the stream seem to matter? I just played what ever was on the top of the MLG home page for my tests.

If I am testing the right thing, can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

drusl

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  9:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm experiencing this as well - Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, VA 2108.
Go to Top of Page

drusl

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2016 :  9:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Examining the log, the time values under EPW::EPW steadily climb as files open: (11871 t)
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  8:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've fixed a problem in handling Android applications. I'm not sure if it improves performance or not but we've a test dll if you want to try.

Please contact us via the following form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Paste the URL of this topic to the Your Request field so we can match it up.

Can you also please send in log file of the slowdown? It can give us clues about the problem. The below article describes how to enable logging and where you will find the logs:
http://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W305

You can use the same form to attach the resulting log files.

Edited by - accord on Aug 09 2016 8:36:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  12:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with android projects only occurs when adding references to the project. (case=99166)

Edited by - sean on Aug 10 2016 01:36:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000