Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Why the new version dosnt not work on my vs2008?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clinton

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2015 :  7:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to install the old version on my vs2008. But I manually deleted all the key 'va', 'vassist'... from my register. And also disabled it on vc2008 tools . When I make sure they all deleted, I reinstall the newest version (2083). Now it dosn't work. No VA menu, no suggestions, and no any function of va.
It just like I haven't installed VA.
VS2008.
Now, how can I fix the problem?

A man

Edited by - clinton on Dec 06 2015 7:44:18 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  8:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you run the VA installer, are you seeing the checkbox for "Pre-2010 versions of Microsoft Visual Studio"?

You need to run the installer as an admin user for VS2008.

If you load VS2008, is Visual Assist listed in:

IDE tools menu -> Add-in Manager -> list of available add-ins

Which OS are you using, and is it fully up to date?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

clinton

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  02:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
I installed 2083 many times and I'm sure I have been checked the "Pre-2010 versions" checkbox.
I can not see any text about "VAssist" in VS2008 IDE now.

There is a detail that I manually disabled Visual assist in VS2008->Add-in Manager when I manually deleted the register key about 'VA'...
Now in my vs2008, I reinstall 2083 again and again, and still can not see any text like "visual assist", even the start screen of vs.

A man
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I ask why you did all of these things to your system? You could have simply uninstalled VA if you wanted to remove it.

Is VA installing its files? For a 64bit version of Windows, the default install directory for VS2008 and earlier is:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Visual Assist X\
Does this directory exist? It should contain 15 files, including VA_X.dll, and several sub-directories.

If this bit is working, the next thing to try is resetting VS2008. Please make sure you have closed all instances of VS2008, and there are no instances of "devenv.exe" running in the background.

Then open a command prompt, and use the commands:

cd "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"
devenv.exe /setup

if you have installed VS2008 to a different directory, you will have to change the path on the cd command. The /setup command may take a few seconds to run. Now load VS2008, I suspect you won't see any sign of VA, but it is best to check.

If there is no sign of VA, please install VA again, and see if this makes any difference. If this is still not working, please make sure you have closed all instances of VS2008, then open a command prompt and run the commands:

cd "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"
devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs

does this make any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000