Feature Requests
 competition with Resharper c++
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  12:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this may be a sensitive subject, but with the release of Resharper c++ 10, I am wondering what is Whole Tomato going to do to catch up.
Resharper c++ offers more features and the best of all, it is cheaper.
I feel VAX is getting squashed by JetBrains.
A lot of people who've tested both reported that VAX is performing better, but feature wise, it offers less.

just wondering what are the future plans/roadmap?
I'd personally love to see the VAX price go down and more perks added.

cheers

Edited by - rob8861 on Nov 18 2015 12:36:22 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  10:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A perfectly reasonable question. Of course, if ignoring ReSharper will make them go away then its going to be tempting

Cost first, from the ReSharper website, it says:

$#8202;199.00 /1st year
$#8202;159.00 /2nd year
$#8202;119.00 /3rd yr onwards

and these are subscription costs, so they are ongoing.

VA initial cost, which includes a single years maintenance and updates is $279. Renewal is then $79 for a further years maintenance and updates.

So for 2 years of ReSharper this gives me $358, and 2 years of VA gives me $358. I suspect this is not a coincidence. After that, should you choose to renew VA further, it is cheaper. Now we are not using a subscription method. You are free to keep your current version, and only renew a year or three later, and then skip another couple of years if you want.

I am biassed, but I like to think VA is good value for money, and if you are interested in using either took for more than a year, the costs are roughly comparable.

Personally I have not done a feature comparison with ReSharper, but I know we are keeping an eye on it. We are working to improve our refactoring, and are investigating improving our suggestions. There are various things in the pipeline, but I like to see a feature make it through testing before announcing it.

Are there any particular features / perks you are particularly interested in seeing added?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  12:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Feline,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the long delay in my response ( holiday break in the US) :)
regarding the price, I was referring to the perpetual license option, which is currently what we use in our organization. but to be honest, for organizations like the one I work for, the price for either is peanuts. We spend so much more money on stupid things that buying this license doesn't even require an approval from finance :) the concern is more when it comes to buying an individual license, for my own personal projects.

to answer your question regarding features/perks. So few things I personally like about ReSharper is the real time code analysis. another thing I noticed is that when I forget to include a header file for a type from the standard library, in VA I always get multiple options for header files, however, with Resharper, 95% of the times it gets the correct header file. Not sure how it does it.
another thing I find a little annoying in VA is the little down arrow icon that pops up when you hover over a member. Since VS2015, Microsoft introduced their own little light bulb, which now overlaps with the VA icon. Don't get me wrong. I do find the little context menu very useful, but it is really annoying to fight with the new light bulb to get the VA menu pop up. This does not exists with Resharper because they took over the native VS feature and added their own light bulb on the side.
these are just few thing I could think of.
I can't really comment on performance because at work I do mostly embedded development so the source code is not as crazy as game development/engines. At home I use VA for all my game dev projects because it seems to be the "industry standard" and also, it performs better.

I think you should give it a try. That way you can get the sense of what it offers. It is always a good idea to know your enemy close and personal :-D

Cheers,
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  6:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem with the slow reply, I realise you will have other, more important things to be doing, and appreciate any time you can give me and this conversation.

Do you have any examples for when VA is not sure which header file you need to include? We could then study them and try to improve this going forward.

I know what you mean about the down arrow icon. If you prefer the keyboard, you can use the keyboard short Alt-Shift-Q to open this menu instead, for the symbol the caret is currently sitting in. Or if you prefer the mouse, in VA Options -> General settings, you can use Ctrl or Alt left click to open the VA Context menu, or Middle click instead, bypassing the icon and going directly to the menu.

I know that we are working to make our suggestions and notifications easier to see and access, but these options are available now, and will hopefully help make things easier and quicker for you.

We are keeping an eye on ReSharper, and I am currently investigating a report of some conflicts with VA.

Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  1:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always happy to help.

I attached an image that demonstrates the issue I described in my previous post. I am running Resharper and VA back to back. Resharper (right side) suggested the correct header file (glew.h) while VA (pasted on left side) suggested an incorrect one - gl.h.
even though the type is defined in gl.h, the compiler throw an "ambiguous type" error

I can send you more but that was just a quick example.

hope that helps.

p.s: thanks for the short cut tip. I'll start using the VA shortcuts from now on.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  9:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's clearly not helpful. Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup, it is your stable include directories that interest me. I don't have a copy of either header file on my system, and a google says it is from OpenGL. Are most of the headers you are seeing this problem with also from OpenGL? Or from different sources? I am wondering if this is OpenGL specific, or more general.

Hopefully your directory list will give me a clue as to what I need to install to get this header, and reproduce the problem here.

If this is OpenGL specific there might be something we can do about it, if there is something specific confusing our parser.

I am glad the shortcut is helping, hopefully I can help to solve any other problems you may encounter as we go along.

Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2015 :  1:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the header files are from the glew OpenGL extension library
here is the link so you can download it: http://glew.sourceforge.net/ - just need to select the one for your OS/platform

So far I am not seeing this problem from a different source but I'll keep monitoring. I am currently running both in parallel.

ok so here is the info from my system info

License: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2016.02.02
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2076.0 built 2015.09.15
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.23107.0 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 14.0.23107.0
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.18837
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
4 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Include\\winrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Include\\shared;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Include\\um;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\\Include\\10.0.10150.0\\ucrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Users\\rfazio\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2015\\Projects\\C++\\ComputerGraphicsSDL\\deps\\SDL\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\\Source\\10.0.10150.0\\ucrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2015 :  3:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information and the link. I am guessing I also need an OpenGL library from somewhere? Do you happen to have a link handy for that as well? The wrangler library does not contain a file called "gl.h", unless it is supposed to be generated somewhere along the line.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about OpenGL, I recognise the term, and that's about it.

Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  1:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using the SDL library which is a wrapper for OpenGL. you can download it from this link. https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php

sorry I forgot to include it in my previous post.

OpenGL, like DirectX is a computer graphics library that let you render 2D or 3D content. Glew and SDL are wrappers that make using OpenGL a lot easier for beginners (like myself :)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the second link, and no problem with not posting it at first, it sometimes takes time to pin down the details for these problems.

I am making some progress, VA is now offering Add Include on "GLuint", but it is adding "glew.h", and not suggesting gl.h. My stable include directories look like yours, and interestingly, adding the two lines:

#include <glew.h>
#include <gl.h>

to a cpp file, placing the caret into "glew.h" shows the path for this header file, but placing the caret into "gl.h" does not show any path information at all. I have several copies of "gl.h" on my system, but none of them are a direct include.

In your project settings, what do you have:

Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Additional Include Directories = ...

set to? I am assuming you have set direct access to one of the copies of "gl.h" here.

Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's correct.
I needed to add some include dirs and linked the libs.

both include and libs are set to $(SolutionDir)/SDL/include and $(SolutionDir)/SDL/lib/win32

then for the linker you have to specify under input all the libs you want to include in your project. for glew i added just glew32.lib

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  9:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some progress here, this still feels like one of these one step forwards, one step backwards problems.

After some more directory setting experiments, I have VA suggesting "gl.h", but ReSharper C++, for some reason, is not suggesting anything at all, but I have no idea why.

After some more testing, I have made an interesting discovery.

Can you please open "glew.h" in your editor, then close this file after a couple of seconds, then trigger Add Include on "GLuint" again. What now happens?

For me, once VA has actually opened, and thus parsed "glew.h", this is the header file that is added via Add Include, rather than "gl.h". Although this may be down to different include directory configurations.

We are considering having VA ask which header to add, when we find more than one possible header file, which should help here:

case=67573

Short of adding a header, then compiling to see what happens, I am not sure how we could reliably tell, automatically, which is the correct header to add. Simply based on needing GLuint both headers seem valid choices. I wish this was a bit clearer, but sadly it's not.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000