Feature Requests
 Option to always show auto actual variable
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BobTheBuilder

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the criticisms (which I believe is valid) with the use of auto is that it is difficult to see what the auto actually is by just looking at the code.

Currently assist allows one to mouse over for the auto value. It would be really useful there was an option to either show all the auto values on screen at the same time either with a keyboard press or just showing it all the time.

I understand this may be difficult to implement and auto can't be determined all the time but it would be yet another killer feature of visual assist... and also help resolve one issue with auto in the C++ community.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  11:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware that if you place the caret into the auto variable, the type is shown in the VA Definition field, which saves you needing to use the mouse if its inconvenient.

I can see why you are interested in this, but off the top of my head I don't see any obvious way of doing this. If the "auto" word is replaced by the longer, actual type, when displaying the code, then the file you are editing is not the file saved on the disk. The replacement types would have to be made read only, so then you have a partly read only, partly editable file.

If you show the types with tooltips, you are going to get a set of floating tooltips getting in the way.

Put the information into a docked tool window, then the information is distant from what you are reading.

Once the auto is a distance from the line you are reading and working on, its no different to any other type, it may have scrolled off the top of the screen. Which is where the VA Definition field, normally at the top of the editor, comes into play and helps.

How do you envisage this working? Am I missing something that would allow this to happen and make more sense?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BobTheBuilder

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  1:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay on this. I was on vacation. I have a small mockup but I don't know how to attach it here. Anyway basically the auto with shrink and be in small text in the corner and the type would be inserted in it's place. When someone selected the text it would change back to auto. The tiny auto sits just underneath and the type is a font size smaller too. It may try to fit the text into the auto's already text size to maintain formatting (and use '.' to indicate overflow)... although I'd prefer that to be an option.

I realize it's complicated to change the text render but I think it would be possible to make it work that way.

Here's a picture
http://postimg.org/image/wpiuvjsux/

Edited by - BobTheBuilder on Dec 11 2015 1:07:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  01:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No apology needed over the delay, there is always something else that needs doing as well.

For attaching a picture, if you use the "Reply to Topic" link, to get the full reply window, rather than doing a quick reply, there is a button to "Insert an Image" into your reply under the edit field.

The picture shows what you are talking about, but I am not sure how much this helps. Taking an easy example, for the type std::pair<classOne, classTwo> you simply don't have space to show anything useful where "auto" used to be, not without moving the rest of the line sideways. Any long type has this problem, and the longer the type, the more tempting auto becomes.

If you make the actual type smaller you get maybe one or two more letters in, but not much, and it risks becoming to small to read.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000