Feature Requests
 List include files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lifthrasil

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  01:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you execute "list include files" there a window opened where you can see the include files and browse through them. A search for special include files would be very helpful. In our very old Software we would strongly need this functionality because for unit tests we get errors that specific include files are included what should not be (own generated error) but to find out which file this is and how this is included here is really hard. At the moment we have to display all include by visual Studio and compile the file to see what happens.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  4:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you right click in the list of include files, one of the options is "Expand Descendants and Copy", which allows you to then paste the part of the include tree you copied into a text file, where you can then search it, to find the information you want.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Lifthrasil

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  12:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so there's a work around. I am trying this. Since 20 minutes it's "building the tree". I'm not sure if a will see a result sometime.... Is it planned to integrate this into visual assist directly? Because like this it's not really comfortable?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We would still need to build the tree before searching the tree, so if the problem is that building the tree is very slow, adding a search is not going to help.

Have you tried doing a Find in Files for the #include line that causes the problem?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow -- I wouldn't have waited 20 minutes. You can cancel and get partial results.

An alternative is to see if you can identify the problem in the opposite direction. Open the problem include file and list includes for it -- you will also see what files include it.
Go to Top of Page

Lifthrasil

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  12:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

The Problem in my case is maybe not so easy to solve. We include very big libraries in the code, which are not ours. These libraries are not interesting for us because we do not work on them or change something. When the tree is built it's also parsing the whole include path in the library which is not interesting for me and a very huge path. But I would also don't know how to solve that. I would have to exclude folders to tell the search that this is not interesting. So I think there's no easy way to solve this... It's the same if I include something from MFC. I'm most times not interested into the internal include path of this file.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One idea, you could comment out library includes temporarily, before using Expand Descendants and Copy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000