New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may not be worth reporting as it's now working. I had to install VAX Version 2048 three times to get it to install on a new install of Visual Studio 2010.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which OS are you using?

Did you get any error messages, or other clues to explain why this did not work at first?

Are you working with more than one user on this machine? VA is installed for the current user only for VS2010 and above.

I am frequently installing different versions of VA, and I have never seen this happen, so something very odd must have happened here. Most problems that stop VA showing up won't be fixed by installing again.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  7:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Which OS are you using?

Windows 7 Professional x86-64.
quote:
Did you get any error messages, or other clues to explain why this did not work at first?

No. I have VS2003, VS2008, and VS2010 installed on that machine. I already had VAX 2048 installed on VS2003 and VS2008. I installed it the first two times with default checkboxes, which meant it would re-install on pre-2010, and install on 2010. Failed both times. I then unchecked pre-2010 and it worked.
quote:
Are you working with more than one user on this machine? VA is installed for the current user only for VS2010 and above.

There is more than one user on the machine, but I am the only user who uses the machine (the other are by my company's IT department, their admin accounts and what not).
quote:
I am frequently installing different versions of VA, and I have never seen this happen, so something very odd must have happened here. Most problems that stop VA showing up won't be fixed by installing again.

I've never had any issues before. This is the first time I've installed VS2010 on this machine, however. I installed it last week, downloaded several hundred megabytes of service packs and what not twice (one set the first time, and then another set the second time). VS2010 worked. I was able to open my project and compile it successfully. VAX just didn't install.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  10:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange. If you see a problem like this again can you please look in:

IDE tools menu -> Extension Manager...

and see if Visual Assist is listed? This might offer some initial clues as to what is going on here. Another thing to watch out for is the setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Extension Manager -> Load per user extensions when running as administrator

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000