Auto complete listbox only on shortcut
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apautrot

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  04:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm using Visual Assist for more than 10 years now, professionally. Meaning more than 8 hours a day.

I have a lot of times where I just don't want the auto complete list box to opens. I'm using escape to dismiss it each time. It's very annoying.

Examples are :
- you change/correct a single numeric value or a character in a name, the auto complete opens. Keys no more allow you to navigate in the source but in the suggestion box. Something I don't want in that case, because I just wanted to change a single character. Escape to dismiss, then I can can move the caret. If you have twenty lines to correct, its becomes very annoying and unproductive.
- you start writing a variable that don't exists yet, the auto complete box opens and suggestion tries to force you to use an existing name with fuzzy matching. But I don't want that, I don't ask that, I want to write code without any interference, my variables being known or not (we all write code statements using variables that we declare after the code is written).

I should count the number of time I'm hitting escape to dismiss this box every day. Maybe more than hundred times a day !

What I'd like to see is a simple option that just make the auto complete showing only on a short cut (Ctrl+Space is doing that). I need the auto complete box to never pops up by itself, but only when I call it using the appropriate shortcut.

This won't break anything for anyone. By default the auto complete shows, but we can disable that auto show of auto complete.

Is that possible ? If you don't want to put that in the option's UI, can you at least make it available from a config file ?

In advance thanks.

apautrot

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  05:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
The very same option in intellisense is at Tools->Options->Text Editor->All Languages(or C#, or whatever) : Auto list members.
This disables the list to auto appears, but it is still available on Ctrl+Space.

This is exactly what I'd like Visual Assist to do. Maybe Visual Assist might just follow that Auto list members option to keep the behavior consistent (Visual Assist don't follow that option for now).

Thanks for your attention to that.

Edited by - apautrot on Jul 05 2014 05:18:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  10:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is good to hear that you have been using VA for so long, and finding it helpful.

Which IDE are you working in, and are you working in C++ or C#? I am assuming C# from the IDE option you turned off. Turning off:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

should help here. If this does not help enough can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can pin down the reason for all of the listboxes.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000