Export/Import keyboard shortcuts name mismatch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soukupm

Austria
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  06:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a naming mismatch when exporting the current visual studio settings: the exported shortcut is assigned to VisualAssist while the keyboard binding is named VAssistX.
On importing these settings errors occur, e.g.:
Error 2:  Keyboard: The command 'VisualAssistX.RefactorChangeSignature' does not exist. The keyboard shortcut bound to this command has been ignored.

In the .vssettings file you can find:
<Shortcut Command="VisualAssistX.RefactorChangeSignature" Scope="Text Editor">Ctrl+R, Ctrl+C</Shortcut>

Instead it should read:
<Shortcut Command="VAssistX.RefactorChangeSignature" Scope="Text Editor">Ctrl+R, Ctrl+C</Shortcut>
<Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.RefactorChangeSignature" Scope="Text Editor">Ctrl+R, Ctrl+C</Shortcut>

Manual renaming of all these occurences in the file solved the import error messages.

Experienced with VisualStudio 2010/2013 with VA_X.dll file version 10.8.2029.0 built 2014.02.24

Edited by - soukupm on Jun 04 2014 02:35:28 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2014 :  12:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you exporting, and what are you then importing into?

You only give one version of VA, but two different versions of the IDE. The two IDE's are different, so settings exported from one probably won't just import into the other one, since they have different feature sets.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

soukupm

Austria
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2014 :  03:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now this is weird:
yesterday the import resulted in the error I described - today the export and import work as intended.
So I take it all back (for the moment), but will answer your question anyway.

I was exporting from VS 2010 into 2010 and also from 2013 into 2013. In both cases this is was an issue (on Windows 7 x64 this is, which I forgot to mention).
I am using is the built in settings export of Visual Studio (Tools / Import and Export Settings).
The version of VA is the same in both Visual Studios, of course.
The import did not fail if I modify the saved settings file by replacing "VisualAssist" with "VAssistX".

Btw. the settings exported from VS2010 can at least partly be imported into VS2013 correct as I have noticed, especially the keyboard bindings.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2014 :  7:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is completely bizarre, I am exporting and importing settings for various IDE's on a regular basis, and importing settings from our users, and I have never seen anything like this before. You are not even changing the version of VA.

I can understand how moving settings from one IDE to a different IDE could cause problems, since the different IDE's have different feature sets. You do get errors when you export keyboard bindings for "custom" commands, Macros, for an extension that is not installed when you do the import.

Do you have any other extensions installed that might effect how the IDE is exporting or importing settings?

Go to Top of Page

soukupm

Austria
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  02:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I traced it down a bit (or at least tried to).
Seems that we (a collegue who had the same error message and me) tried to import an older settings file where the entry was named "VisualAssistX" (as in the first post I made). Since some version from last year it seems to have changed to "VisualAssist" without the "X", so the old files do not work anymore without renaming.
What I still don't understand is why an export and the import of the very same file directly afterwards failed as it did on June 2nd. I tried to pin it down to the fact that we both installed the VA.2036 as trial and then reverted back to the VA.2029, but I still cannot bring back the former error.
BUT: as the import works right now I will rather use my time now to solve my own software issues ;) - you can mark this one as solved. Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2014 :  12:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a rename of VA a few versions ago, so it would make sense if exporting from a version before the rename had a problem when importing into a version after the rename, but as you say, this does not explain the problem when working with the same version of VA.

Hopefully VA will now work smoothly for both you and your colleague. Obviously if you have any more problems or questions please do let us know, and I will do what I can to help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000