Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Prefer local symbols for case-conversion / etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  10:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the case-correction feature *when it works*. :)

However, often, it does not. Exactly because it chooses symbols that are globally defined over ones that are locally defined.

e.g.

template <typename CharType> bool GetNextNonBlankLine(CachedTextFile<CharType> & ctf, CharType<<<--- WHEN TYPING THIS, VA CONVERTS IT TO "CHARTYPE".

If I mouse-over CHARTYPE and use go-to, I find it is defined as an enum in output.c, which is rather an obtuse choice, no?! After all, output.c is not even in the include web... it's a .c file (...\\VC\\crt\\src\\output.c)

And even if it were #included somehow, it would be a really poor choice of symbol, since the template <typename CharType> is definitely what C++ is going to see there (unless of course the case is changed to CHARTYPE, but I *typed* CharType, VA just "FTFY"!) Ugh! :(

So, perhaps the symbol engine could be smartened up a bit and look first at what's closest, and then only after exhausting the far more likely local symbols, offer the far-away symbols. Especially on an auto-correct feature such as case-correction - that's absolutely irritating when it auto-"fixes" the correct case with the wrong one for a symbol that was locally correctly available. It's an anti-feature, in such cases, which are way too common...

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe in general the repair-case needs a fuzz-factor. Have a candidate likeliness feature, so that I can state that I want matches to be fixed at a 90% threshold, instead of the current "replace every character in what I typed". So like your example, one character w/ wrong case is fixed, but typing CharType would not be, because CHARTYPE is a terrible, poor % match candidate, and can instantly be seen to be wrong always. (A human being isn't going to take the time to type camel-case if they mean all-caps, chartype -> CHARTYPE is a far better match than CharType -> CHARTYPE).

Edited by - Mordachai on Apr 01 2014 10:44:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  5:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're already blocking CamelCase to camelcase:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W344

But CamelCase is corrected to CAMELCASE for some reason. I have put in a feature request to change this:

case=81352
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2014 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding your template example: Visual Assist doesn't suggest template arguments so doesn't have a chance to correct to the right thing:

case=8462

Edited by - accord on Apr 01 2014 5:27:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000