Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 "Open File In Solution" Dialog list *all* files.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jioltbotn

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  7:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made the changes listed in this post (http://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10929) to get Visual Assist working with Python Tools For Visual Studio with the CustomProjectExtension key

But I have one problem. The "Open File In Solution" dialog lists all files under the projects root folder and does not discriminate between a file that is in the solution or not. This is annoying since the dialog is listing all of my python files and the python bytcode files (*.pyc)

Can I fix this?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  11:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the *.pyc files shown in the IDE solution explorer? If these files are part of the solution, then VA will think it is supposed to list them.

Are you aware that you can filter the list, using the filter -.pyc followed by a space and then your search term will remove these from the list? I know this is not ideal, since you have to apply this filter every time you do a search, but it should help some of the time.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jioltbotn

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The *.pyc are not in the solution.

And the *.pyc was only an simple example to illustrate the problem. The dialog picks up all files in all directories underneath the 'ProjectHome' variable in the *.pyproj file.

This means I get a recursive listing of *.* regardless of if a file is in the project or not. I have *.dll, *.ico, *.png, etc. files in addition to temporary files and directories created by my script showing up in the dialog.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a sample project you can send me that shows this problem please? I have installed Python tools, and created a new Python application, but this only gives me a single .py file, and this is the only file listed in VA's Open File dialog. If you do, please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Do you have:

VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> if Solution is not empty

turned on or off? If this is turned On it might be a factor.

Go to Top of Page

jioltbotn

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
I have installed Python tools, and created a new Python application, but this only gives me a single .py file, and this is the only file listed in VA's Open File dialog.

My steps are this:
  • Create a 'Python Application' project
    • It should create a 'hello world' file and with the defaults it should be named PythonApplication.py.
    • The VA Open File Dialog *works* as expected and only the PythonApplication.py file appears.
  • Close the solution & visual studio.
  • Create a new file next to the PythonApplication.py file called NotInSolution.py
  • Open The PythonApplication.sln in Visual Studio
  • Open the Open File in Solution dialog. I now see:
    • NotInSolution.py
    • PythonApplicaion.py
    • PythonApplication.sln

I've gone through all permutations with the 'if Solution is empty' and 'if Solution is not empty' options and it does not affect the results. I always get all items.
Go to Top of Page

jioltbotn

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have submitted the sample project as requested.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  8:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files, thank you, I am seeing the same effect here now, I have put a bug report in for this:

case=80081

but since we don't officially support Python I am not sure if or when this will be fixed.

We are considering adding a setting to always exclude certain file types from the Open File dialog, which would help here:

case=25837

If you are using VS2013 then using Ctrl+; to search Solution Explorer directly.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=25837 is implemented in build 2283.

Use the context menu in the Open File in Solution dialog to display the edit control for the persistent filter. Hide the edit control after adding the text that you want to always persist. The text affects filtering whether or not the control is visible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000